Skip to main content
Topic: Broken URL (Read 6971 times) previous topic - next topic

Broken URL

Just happen to use " Forgot Password " option and I got a reset URL half broken. A decent part (at the end ) was not hyperlink at all. I had to copy paste it in browser and clicking would have not helped the cause. I see that similar URL issue is posted in Ultimate Menu discussion thread by @Jorin . Please look into it.

Re: Broken URL

Reply #1

What email client do you use? Do you have outlook or similar installed, or just by web?
If I remember well I had some problems in the past with SMF and links with a hotmail account via web
sorry for my bad english

Reply #2

I used the web interface. Received it in the junk folder as well ( just in case that could be of any help).

Reply #3

What character did it break it on or was it just a very long link that wrapped around?

I've read that wrapping plain text links in "<" and ">" helps prevent some email clients from mangling them, no idea how effective that is.

Reply #5

Interesting ... so not a wrapping issue as it broke it as the 59th position ...

I've added the <> wrap to the link on the site, I've read mixed reviews if that helps or not, seems to vary.  Anyway, if you are willing to reset your password again to give it a test that would be great !

Reply #7

My only other thought would be to replace those ';' with '&' and see if that would work.  Obvisly the <> stuff did not work and I'm not surprised (that seems to help mac mailers).  But both attempts broke the link at the ; ... so I wonder if using a & instead would prevent that.

Reply #8

I tried with one of my accounts and gmail works fine.

It may be one of those peculiar email services that likes to mess with stuff... :-\
What provider do you use meetdilip?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

I noticed that on Hotmail :if an email (in my case a new registration) reaches the spam folder the link to view the profile is broken. If I mark the mail as safe it gets to inbox and the link is working fine.
Do you use Hotmail @meetdilip?
sorry for my bad english

Reply #11

For kicks I changed it to use & instead of ; for the separation ... so anyone willing to give it a try please do ... Just a curiosity why its breaking the line.

Reply #12

meh, I tried to create an account, but the provider asks for a mobile phone number, that's slightly more than I'm willing to provide in order to register online accounts. :-\
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #14

That's why I do not register new gmail accounts. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.