Skip to main content
Topic: Weird error when trying to register with a certain username (Read 2317 times) previous topic - next topic

Weird error when trying to register with a certain username

I'm experiencing an issue that is almost too weird to believe. (And maybe it should go into bug reports but I'm not sure.) When a user attempts to register with the username "Sean", it causes the following error:

The following errors were detected in your registration. Please correct them to continue:

Sorry, this action is not available to guests.

I haven't gotten this to trigger except when a user attempts to register with the username "Sean". If you use a different username, it proceeds just fine. I tried similar usernames (Sea, Ean, Seen, Saan, Seann) and none of them caused this error. I haven't tried every possible username in existence, of course, so it's certainly possible other usernames trigger this, but I don't know of any. I tried clearing out everything in the "Reserved names" section (even though none of them resembled "Sean") and it didn't help. Can anyone figure this out??

Re: Weird error when trying to register with a certain username

Reply #1

I tried this on my local install and had no problem with that name so not sure what is going on.   Did you personally try that name and it was rejected or was that just a users report or something you saw in the error log?

Reply #2

Hmm... The error is about the action.
Could you check if a user with this username or name already exist?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

Quote from: Spuds – I tried this on my local install and had no problem with that name so not sure what is going on.   Did you personally try that name and it was rejected or was that just a users report or something you saw in the error log?

My friend whose name is Sean tried to join the form and told me about the problem, and I determined after testing that it was just that specific name that triggers it. However, it's helpful to know that apparently the problem is unique to me.

Quote from: emanuele – Hmm... The error is about the action.
Could you check if a user with this username or name already exist?

The name wasn't already taken.

Reply #4

Honestly I have no idea what it could be.
I don't see limitation on usernames, the action doesn't really match with what could be a warning for already used name, no idea.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.