Skip to main content
Topic: Two questions about the Silence theme (Read 2665 times) previous topic - next topic

Two questions about the Silence theme

Looks like someone was busy and updated the Silence theme. Looks great. :)

Annotation 2019-08-03 094039.jpg

Two questions:

1. Is it possible for you or for me, (I'm a beginner so I probably won't break the whole thing, but I can't promise I wouldn't break anything), to remove the margin and/or padding from the left side of the logo at the top left of the page?

2. Is it possible to hide the forum name at the top right? In my case, it's redundant. I suppose it'd be useful if someone got lost and needed to find their way back to the forum landing page, but I'd rather that the logo handle that.

Thank as always,

- Mark

Re: Two questions about the Silence theme

Reply #1

Could you let me know what you have under the themes settings (Admin->Configuration->Theme Management->Theme Settings ... the select "edit this themes settings" for the silence theme.   There will be an area for logo url, site slogan, header layout.

I just want to know what you have entered before I tell you how to adjust things.

Oh also what do you have under Server->Settings->General for the Forum Title.  

All of those things go to the header, so its easy to get duplicate stuff or somewhat odd layouts.

Reply #2

Sure Spuds, will do. And thank you again. I'll do my best to list things clearly:

Theme Name:                         Silence
URLs, Directory                       (default stuff, working fine)
(for example, directory is   /home/markh390/public_html/forums/themes/elk_theme_silence_11  )

Variants                                    Dark, user selection disabled
Logo URL                                 https://www.markholleyproject.com/miscimages/MarkHolleyProject%20Logo%2003.png
Slogan                                      (none)
Header Layout                         Logo on the left
Smiley                                      Fugue's Set
Forum Width                           90%

Current Position Link               Yes
Mark as Read                           Yes
Stats                                         Yes
Latest Member                         No
Who is Viewing                        Don't show

Last Mod, Profiles, Avatar        Yes
Hide Post Group Titles             No

Collapsible Additional Post     No

Forum Title                            Mark Holley Project Forums

I was thinking that maybe I could remove the title all together, but then I'm afraid that bookmarking might not work so well.

Reply #3

The easiest way is to use a custom.css file.   The system will look for this file and use it to override other css settings, this is so you don't have to edit the themes css files, which would make updating more tedious.

Place the attached custom.css file in your silence css directory and it should do what you want.

Reply #4

Excellent, thank you. So the themes (or ElkArte) are wired to look for custom.css to overwrite existing styles? I might throw my own CSS there if I want to in the future. So, just the margin, the padding, and the display for those couple of things. Good to know. :)

You folks have been wonderful here. I looked you up on GitHub. I'm a newbie at that myself, like with everything else about development... all I know are basic pushes, pulls, commits, etc. If a year or two down the road I wake up at 2am and think "Wow! I finally have something useful to contribute!", I'll know where to find you. :)