Skip to main content
Topic: Highslide-style attachment thumbnail expansion in 1.1 (Read 8462 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Highslide-style attachment thumbnail expansion in 1.1

Reply #15

Well if by "really made the page layout jump about" you mean the expansion pushed the adjacent blocks to another line then sure, that's what expand in place will do. That doesn't bother me personally*, as long as nothing else happens. Everything else on the page should behave nicely. If it doesn't, something is wrong (which will be fixable anyway).

*I like the image to expand within post width, so I can see it without disrupting anything else. Admittedly this is just personal preference though.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #16

I'm not a fan of highslide, but I never liked the old expand in place either to which I tend to prefer the highslide.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #17

Ok, well I suppose it might be worth asking what we think would be perfect, because if we can think of it we can probably code it. :)

Reply #18

An highslide, with some kind of "normal" speed, configurable by admin (so that if you want it to be faster you can make it faster, or slower), with some mopped up markup as antechinus suggested. That, would do.
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #19

Sorry, but I'm failing at understanding what you mean by "slow".
Here it loads the overlay in the blink of an eye (without any effect of sort), and then the image is loaded at the speed of the itnernet connection.
What's so slow about that?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #20

Why not use Lightbox? I have implemented that in SMF (modified by me) and that looks very good. Also you can show more images in One topic as a Gallery..
Look at http://smf21devel.portamx.com/index.php?topic=4.0
Many are stubborn in relation to the path, a few in relation to the target.
Visit our new Forum Project on https://www.portamx.com

Reply #21

I do think that if you are going to use a highslide type of display, it should have the ability to scroll through all images in that post. Having to jump in and out of black pages/normal pages for every image in one post would be really annoying.

Reply #22

Blow 'em up image displays look very cool on a desktop.  On the flip side, I find they're often horribly broken on mobiles.  This is a huge concern as better than 75% of my traffic is from mobile users.  Proper mobile rendering is key! 

Reply #23

Quote from: Feline – Why not use Lightbox? I have implemented that in SMF (modified by me) and that looks very good. Also you can show more images in One topic as a Gallery..
There are Addons for ElkArte that provide for all the full set of zoom effects, gallery navigation, overlay etc features (for example there is a FancyBox addon). 

When I added this to the core, the intention was to be light weight and provide an way to turn it off so an addon writer
(and end user) could select their lightbox addon of choice.  This was simply an improved version of what we had,  It should work for mobile but I have not checked everything.  The lightbox itself is responsive to screen size changes.

Anyway I think I'm going to be removing this from B2 and leave the old chunk in place.

Reply #24

Quote from: Spuds – Anyway I think I'm going to be removing this from B2 and leave the old chunk in place.
And I'll add it back. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #25

Sibling rivalry is out. Enter dev rivalry!
LiveGallery - Simple gallery addon for ElkArte

Reply #26

Quote from: Spuds –
Quote from: Feline – Why not use Lightbox? I have implemented that in SMF (modified by me) and that looks very good. Also you can show more images in One topic as a Gallery..
There are Addons for ElkArte that provide for all the full set of zoom effects, gallery navigation, overlay etc features (for example there is a FancyBox addon).  

When I added this to the core, the intention was to be light weight and provide an way to turn it off so an addon writer
(and end user) could select their lightbox addon of choice.  This was simply an improved version of what we had,  It should work for mobile but I have not checked everything.  The lightbox itself is responsive to screen size changes.

Anyway I think I'm going to be removing this from B2 and leave the old chunk in place.
Well .. I have modified the Lightbox2, so he can load in the header and the image is zomed centered. Also this works very well on Mobile devices, bacause the small images for prev/next image is shown allways on mobile, not on mouseover.
My version works very well with all mobile devices and with all browsers .. also in IE ;-) and this is very small while jquery is exists.
Take a look at our test side ...
Many are stubborn in relation to the path, a few in relation to the target.
Visit our new Forum Project on https://www.portamx.com

Reply #27

LOL .. I'd just like it to be a bit better (tad faster, navigation, validate mobile) based on the feedback.

Perhaps what @Feline states is a better path, Lightbox2 is pretty lightweight and MIT.  I'm not sure what modifications were made / needed with her version. 

Reply #28

Just defer the loading if you put it in the header, so that you won't have to wait for that to load up to see the actual page (=faster).
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #29

Perhaps you should look at the code and then provide a "fix"  (=more useful)  ;)