Skip to main content
Topic: Stuck with importer... (Read 4261 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Stuck with importer...

Reply #15

Quote from: badmonkey – 128 should be plenty. How about php, apache/nginx or mysql timeouts?

Not sure if it's an indication, but the issues (either the blank page or the 500) appear instantaneously. I doubt it's a performance issue since the server is handling a mediawiki and a smf installation with some traffic and quite a few visitors with no issues... I'm hitting my head against a wall right now :D

Reply #16

Quote from: Gryzor –
Quote from: badmonkey – 128 should be plenty. How about php, apache/nginx or mysql timeouts?

Not sure if it's an indication, but the issues (either the blank page or the 500) appear instantaneously. I doubt it's a performance issue since the server is handling a mediawiki and a smf installation with some traffic and quite a few visitors with no issues... I'm hitting my head against a wall right now :D

It isn't about performance. The importer can take some time, even on a smaller forum. Regardless, a proper solution requires a methodical troubleshooting approach. Lost car keys are never, ever where we think they are. If they were, they wouldn't be lost.

Also check file ownership. Pay particular attention to the importer itself.

Reply #17

No, I know it's not about performance. What I was saying was that there was no opportunity for time outs since I got the issue immediately. Also, note that the import process hadn't even started yet, I haven't gotten that far :D

Is there somewhere I can see what permissions the files must have?

Thanks again!

Reply #18

Quote from: Gryzor – No, I know it's not about performance. What I was saying was that there was no opportunity for time outs since I got the issue immediately. Also, note that the import process hadn't even started yet, I haven't gotten that far :D

Is there somewhere I can see what permissions the files must have?

Thanks again!

Ah! Gotcha! You should be able to see file ownership using your ftp client. For example, in Filezilla, right click the file to view and select from the popup. Or you can list them in SSH. 

Reply #19

Apologies, I wasn't clear :D I know how to see them, I was asking what they should be! ("where can I see what they must be?")

Apologies again, I can see how I wasn't very succinct :D

Reply #20

Quote from: Gryzor – Apologies, I wasn't clear :D I know how to see them, I was asking what they should be! ("where can I see what they must be?")

Apologies again, I can see how I wasn't very succinct :D

No worries Gryzor. Sometimes internet communication can be tricky. Lol!

Since the importer should be deleted after the process is successful, there is no harm in giving it full read/write permissions. I'd go 777. As for ownership, it depends on your particular OS configuration. Assuming your forum operated correctly previously, ownership should match that of the other forum files. 

Reply #21

I would personally just test and do it on my pc. Once it is successful, I would transfer them back to the host.

Reply #22

Argh... I had already given it 777, owner and group are www-group, all seems fine but I still gall at the first hurdle...

Unfortunately my time is up :( I'm beginning a new job on monday so I won't have the time to look into it for the foreseeable future probably... thanks for trying to help, people. With you all the best!