Skip to main content
Topic: Trivial questions (Read 10689 times) previous topic - next topic

Trivial questions

• View the most recent posts first
    I wonder if anyone uses the option to read posts from the most recent to the first. I find it very counter-intuitive. I can think of the type of topics you never read fully, but those are specific topics, not forum type or user behavior, and one can always go to the last posts through links, for those.
  • Save draft misses an existing preview
    • start to write a post and preview it
    • save as draft
    => I think the user would have expected preview section to be reloaded (or rather, to stay there), and it isn't
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Re: Trivial questions

Reply #1

[list type="decimal"]
    [li]View the most recent posts first
    I wonder if anyone uses the option to read posts from the most recent to the first. I find it very counter-intuitive. I can think of the type of topics you never read fully, but those are specific topics, not forum type or user behavior, and one can always go to the last posts through links, for those.
    [/li]
    [li]Save draft misses an existing preview[/li][/list]
    [list type="circle"]
    [li]start to write a post and preview it[/li]
    [li]save as draft[/li]
    [/list]
    => I think the user would have expected preview section to be reloaded (or rather, to stay there), and it isn't[/list]
    Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 07:05:14 pm by emanuele
    Bugs creator.
    Features destroyer.
    Template killer.

Reply #2

emanuele broke BBC... :(
    Bugs creator.
    Features destroyer.
    Template killer.

Reply #3

[list type="decimal"]
      [li]View the most recent posts first
      [/li]
      [li]Save draft misses an existing preview[/li]
      [/list]

[list type="circle"]
      [li]start to write a post and preview it[/li]
      [li]save as draft[/li]
      [/list]
      Quote from: emanuele" date="1354840873" link=topic="7.msg70#msg70=> I think the user would have expected preview section to be reloaded (or rather, to stay there), and it isn't
      [/li][/list]
      The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #4

TestMonkey broke quote because of preview...

Reply #5

• For a moved topic, with redirection from the title enabled
        * it increments views count for every single redirection (view of the linked topic)

I don't think it's a "problem", it is (if confirmed) a small inconsistency

Reply #6

Quote from: TestMonkey –
      • View the most recent posts first
      mmm... yeah, probably not so useful...
      Maybe it can be put in the queue of things to remove "at some point" unless there are objections.

Quote from: TestMonkey –
      • Save draft misses an existing preview
        • start to write a post and preview it
        • save as draft
        => I think the user would have expected preview section to be reloaded (or rather, to stay there), and it isn't
      From time to time I expect, though also in case of session errors I would expect a preview but it doesn't come out... dunno.[/list]
      Bugs creator.
      Features destroyer.
      Template killer.

Reply #7

Is the most-recent-first option still around?
       emanuele doesn't use the profile that much. lol
      Bugs creator.
      Features destroyer.
      Template killer.

Reply #8

Quote from: emanuele – Is the most-recent-first option still around?
       emanuele doesn't use the profile that much. lol
      Yup Show most recent posts at the top. is still an option, its not one of the ones we removed.  Still could for final if wanted.

Reply #9

I was (still) messing with Recent.controller for 1.1 and I stumbled upon this option again.
      What do you think, remove it is fine?
      Bugs creator.
      Features destroyer.
      Template killer.

Reply #10

I don't use it, so of course I would say yes ... Don't know if anyone really uses that option?

Reply #11

Apparently the "show recent first" is badly broken at the moment, so:
      1) remove it,
      2) fix it.
      I'd vote for 1.
      Objections?
      Bugs creator.
      Features destroyer.
      Template killer.

Reply #12

I had to enable it to see what it was doing, looks like it reverses the pages order from new to old but does not reverse sort the posts on that page, pretty funny really.

I'm still for the remove it as it seems to be an odd way to view a thread. 

Reply #13

And it has been broken for quite a while I think: at the moment it just reverts the reply number, but the messages are still ordered from the first to the last... and that's probably my fault. LOL

emanuele whistles innocently waiting for @forumsearch0rs comment. :P

ETA: anyway removal is here. Just in case.
      Bugs creator.
      Features destroyer.
      Template killer.

Reply #14

You killed it!

(Sorry, haven't seen it before. No mail notification about mentions.)
      -