Skip to main content
Topic: Drafts destroys post (Read 3567 times) previous topic - next topic

Drafts destroys post

Was editing a large post in the what files did you edit.  Need to be heading out so I clicked save draft (first time trying to use this feature).  It dropped all the information I had entered since the last time I had previewed the post.  :(

Re: Drafts destroys post

Reply #1

I tried a couple of combinations, but seems to work.
Were you writing in quick reply and hit preview and the continued?
Were you already in reply?
I suppose you have the "automatic save" disabled?
Can you give some more hints on how to reproduce it? ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

I used the normal reply button, not quick reply.  I had been editing the post and had clicked preview a few times and save drafts a few times.  All seemed ok.  Then I made another long edit and had to head out so I clicked save draft and it reloaded saying my draft had been saved but reverted to the last time I had clicked preview.  So all the new edits were lost.

This was the first time I'd ever tried using the draft feature.  I assume autosave is off unless it's on by default.

I was able to recover the post by using back in the browser and cutting and pasting.  Hopefully it's sitting in a draft somewhere.

Reply #3

test pre-preview
another preview
save draft
preview
save draft
no preview but save draft
disabled auto-saving
preview
save
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

preview
save draft
preview
preview
save draft
preview
preview
some text after last preview
save draft
from profile => edit
preview
save draft
save draft
profile => edit
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Dunno... everything looks fine here...
Are you sure you didn't click "cancel" by mistake on the "you know drafts save only text and subject" warning message?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Even if I did click cancel it shouldn't take me to a page with less typed in than I had when I clicked save draft.

But if it's not repeatable I say just drop this until it crops up again.

Reply #7

The only thing I can think of is that one of the async background save calls got really delayed somehow ... like some old auto save came back when you hit save and it used that instead.  I don't know just throwing out an idea.   I can see things getting out of sequence but I don't see that as backing up much in time ... who knows though.  It may be possible to purge any auto saves that are pending once save is hit I guess, have not looked at it at all.

Reply #8

I really don't know.  I've never looked at how the drafts work.  Only tried them that one time.

Reply #9

One random though on that: what would happen in case of multiple tabs?
I mean:
  • tab 1 => writes something
  • tab 1 => saves draft
  • tab 2 => loads draft saved in 2
  • tab 2 => saves new version of the draft
  • tab 1 => tries to save... what does it happen? The draft saved by tab 2 is lost?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.