Skip to main content
Topic: NodeBB (Read 3600 times) previous topic - next topic

NodeBB

Interesting project I've just stumbled upon: http://www.nodebb.org

I guess it's a decent source for enhancement ideas...  8)
-

Re: NodeBB

Reply #1

I personally don't like NodeBB. The index page is horrible and very hard to follow and you can't use it shared hosting.

Reply #2

I never use shared hosting anyway.

Yes, the default (desktop) design is somewhat horrible, but I'd assume changing it would not require much effort.
-

Reply #3

But not allowing the software on shared hosting is what is going to hurt them in long run, since most people are still using shared hosting.

Reply #4

Most shared hosters lose customers as even (managed) vServers are sometimes cheaper and more powerful.
-

Reply #5

For one that wants forum to work without javascript is a particular choice. :P

Actually I was already taking inspiration from their board index for a way present boards.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

See? Their layout can look nice!
-

Reply #7

There can always be modifications later if one wants to customize according to their desire. It's no big deal anyway.

Reply #8

Yep, some of the idea are interesting, with some adaptation to a more "traditional" style.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

Even the "traditional style" could sometimes need refinement. Responsive portal-like designs are trending.
Not that trends were of any importance to me, personally.
-

Reply #10

Yep as well.
TBH, a while ago I was searching a topic where I said I don't like side bars to say that a side bar on the board index could replace pretty well the info center and make some informations more accessible.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #11

The problem with sidebars is that they appear at strange places if your screen is too small.
-

Reply #12

I've used NodeBB a little as a member of some communities and although it has some nice ideas and interface, it felt really slow.