Skip to main content
Topic: Blabla about space and mobile (Read 5464 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from ElkArte 1.1.6 - Release annou...

Blabla about space and mobile

Now I know this is not mobile and I'm on the computer... Whats up with the space? Like huge waste of space on nearly every post. More scrolling for the people reading, just saying :) I'm on the Social variant of the Theme by the way. But like there is huge gabs of nothing in the messages. By the way the Quick reply could need one point to the right in regards of letters, to close to the left line of the box. A minor detail, but they tend to scream at me ;)
@emanuele

Re: Blabla about space and mobile

Reply #1

Seems the standard post reply has this one gab between the left line and the text! :) So that is in order. I'm not sure I understand this quick reply to the fullest by the way. But I will continue to test it out - I guess there might be a way to turn it off if one does not want it?

Reply #2

You can turn off the quick reply in your profile settings, but it's handy because it allows replying without loading another page.

The gap you are talking about in posts is due to dodgey CSS. Frankly I should do some more bug reports on GitHub, because there is quite a bit of silliness in the CSS for Display.template.php. I'll probably do some reports once I have bothered to thoroughly analyse the silliness and figured out the best way around it.

I did fix the gap thing in my overlay dark heme, but offhand I can't remember which line of code contains the fix.

ETA: Aha! Found it. The problem is here:

Code: [Select]
nav > .quickbuttons {
    clear: both;
}

The gap goes away if that is changed to this:

nav > .quickbuttons {
    clear: right;
}

Although really, if things are done more sensibly there should be no need to clear anything there. This was just a quick patch when I was doing the minimum.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #3

I was thinking that probably several views may get advantage of some other features of css nowadays like flex and display-table.
Not knowing much of css apart that is a mess, I'm not sure what I'm talking about, though I had some characters left to type to reach my daily quota and so I decided to type them here. xD
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Lol. :D Yeah I did notice that .poster was still being declared as display: table-cell; when it's now wrapped in an aside that is not declared as table, and it's the only child anyway. It's obviously a leftover from 1.0, when the aside wasn't there and the .post_wrapper was set as display: table; with .poster and .postarea being set to behave as cells (stack nicely side by side, with auto RTL support).

Not hard to clean it up a bit. You could do it several ways. Probably best these days is to set post_wrapper to display: flex; and then bung a fixed width and flex: 0 0 auto; on .poster, with .postarea taking up whatever space is left over (ie: flex: 1 1 auto;). That still gives you auto RTL support, can get rid of some old clearfix stuff, and if you want to stack .poster on top on mobile you just change .post_wrapper to display: block; in your media query. :)
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #5

Why not just have the main reply screen where the Quick reply screen is? Would it matter that it is bigger, its in the bottom anyway?

Reply #6

Most probably the loading issues... i think.

Reply #7

Quote from: Antechinus – You can turn off the quick reply in your profile settings, but it's handy because it allows replying without loading another page.

The gap you are talking about in posts is due to dodgey CSS. Frankly I should do some more bug reports on GitHub, because there is quite a bit of silliness in the CSS for Display.template.php. I'll probably do some reports once I have bothered to thoroughly analyse the silliness and figured out the best way around it.

I did fix the gap thing in my overlay dark heme, but offhand I can't remember which line of code contains the fix.

ETA: Aha! Found it. The problem is here:

nav > .quickbuttons {
    clear: both;
}

The gap goes away if that is changed to this:

nav > .quickbuttons {
    clear: right;
}

Although really, if things are done more sensibly there should be no need to clear anything there. This was just a quick patch when I was doing the minimum.

Sorry missed that - I'm muted on the other forum again. To much in my head floating around. So we have a fix for that, great!

Reply #8

Doh... I just deleted the whole message of mine and edited it with my respond... Oh my, I can't even do simple things anymore.... LOL, well at least I have a small quote from it :/ I guess the most important thing.

QuoteThe change needs to be done in install.css, picture included. line 1669.

Thanks Darkijah, already forgotten where it was as doing some further tesing. So where was the install.css.... Really would be easier with an empty head, but when you are full to the cup you lose things fast.

Reply #9

Can't seem to find the setting, might be different or maybe I'm just a newb overblown by all the CSS lines.
But as you can see on the picture clean does have some space as well underneath the profile picture which could be removed.

Reply #10

BTW Theme Social with the fix :)
It absolutly helps ;)

Reply #11

See what happens if a user has a signature line or attachments as well ... I think that caused an issue, but I could be mistaken.

Reply #12

Quote from: Spuds – See what happens if a user has a signature line or attachments as well ... I think that caused an issue, but I could be mistaken.

Good point, I'll fix a signature to my profile and see what happens, but overall the fix did indeed narrow the space and make less wasted space to be shown. But you are indeed correct I'll go fix my signature on both forums right now.

Reply #13

First picture with signature and nav > .quickbuttons  { clear: right; }
Secound picture with signature and nav > .quickbuttons  { clear: both; }

I'll try again - just thought about something. There we go! :D Awesome. So clearly Clear:right helps a lot! Just a little, but a little goes a long way when you have multiple replies! ;)

It's nearly killing 50 pixels as far as I can see, so clear right for the win! :D

Reply #14

There still is some space left even with the clear right, although at least it is a lot less - not sure if one could further kill some space and how it would look. There does seem to be the possibility of further improving it, but already the little fix has been giving, it absolutly makes it a lot better compared to the default! This of cause should be fixed out of the box, it's just nice programming manners so newbies can toy around with more serious things ;) Like the easier and less problem you hand to the newbs the happier they become! :)