Skip to main content
Topic: Do yourself a favour: point mugs at SourceTree (Read 14989 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Do yourself a favour: point mugs at SourceTree

Reply #30

Quote from: Antechinus – And I found learning the software was a piece of cake, and much more pleasant than frigging around with the CLI. :)

Okay, so you admit that I'm right. Everyone's brain works differently and some are going to find the command line much easier, especially with the sheer amount of documentation. This GUI does not objectively make anything easier, just a longer process.

Reply #31

Quote from: Ant59 –
Quote from: Antechinus – So you admit that commands may not be easier to understand than buttons? :D

Of course I admit that, why wouldn't I?
Ok, so why do you think that making more tutorials is going to persuade people who have already seen a stack of tutorials, but prefer a GUI? Surely you are aware that its reliance on the CLI has always been one of the main things holding back wider acceptance of Linux as an everyday OS. Linux enthusiasts keep making the same argument you're making now. It doesn't work for a lot of people.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #32

Quote from: Antechinus – And I found learning the software was a piece of cake, and much more pleasant than frigging around with the CLI. :)

Okay, so you admit that I'm right. Everyone's brain works differently and some are going to find the command line much easier, especially with the sheer amount of documentation. This GUI does not objectively make anything easier, just a longer process.
No. However I'm happy to admit that you're determined to be right. :D

Reply #33

Quote from: Antechinus – Ok, so why do you think that making more tutorials is going to persuade people who have already seen a stack of tutorials, but prefer a GUI?

Why would I make more tutorials when there is already a heap out there?

Reply #34

Quote from: Antechinus – No. However I'm happy to admit that you're determined to be right. :D

Likewise it would appear. You're not very good at seeing a middle-ground, are you?

Reply #35

Quote from: Antechinus – Ok, so why do you think that making more tutorials is going to persuade people who have already seen a stack of tutorials, but prefer a GUI?

Why would I make more tutorials when there is already a heap out there?
Dunno, but earlier on you were saying you thought a tutorial was the solution, rather than a GUI. Since there are heaps of tutorials already and they obviously aren't working. I thought you may have been intending to make another one. Motoko over at SMF had the idea that if he made tutorials suddenly everything would be different.

Quote from: Antechinus – No. However I'm happy to admit that you're determined to be right. :D

Likewise it would appear. You're not very good at seeing a middle-ground, are you?
I've already said that I'm perfectly happy for you or anyone else to use CLI if they prefer it.

Reply #36

Quote from: Antechinus – Since there are heaps of tutorials already and they obviously aren't working.

No, they're aren't working for you. Understand that other people find the command line easier to use. It's not difficult to realise different people have different perspectives. I'm not going to make yet another Git tutorial when there's plenty about that work perfectly fine for the majority of people. Even GitHub has some pretty slick tutorials on the Git CLI.

A GUI app may be great for you, but it's not the be-all and end-all solution for everyone. I'm trying to make the point that other people (and I'd argue the majority) are perfectly happy with the Git documentation out there and the written English of the CLI commands.

This doesn't mean I'm taking any value away from your GUI suggestion which will be perfectly valid for a subset of people.

Reply #37

Quote from: Antechinus – Since there are heaps of tutorials already and they obviously aren't working.

No, they're aren't working for you. Understand that other people find the command line easier to use.
Quote from: Antechinus – I've already said that I'm perfectly happy for you or anyone else to use CLI if they prefer it.

QuoteIt's not difficult to realise different people have different perspectives.
Quote from: Antechinus – I've already said that I'm perfectly happy for you or anyone else to use CLI if they prefer it.

QuoteA GUI app may be great for you, but it's not the be-all and end-all solution for everyone.

QuoteI'm trying to make the point that other people (and I'd argue the majority) are perfectly happy with the Git documentation out there and the written English of the CLI commands.

Reply #38

Wasn't really looking for your permission, I was trying to help you understand why other people find the CLI easier, but I'll take what I can get. I don't know how this got blown into such a long conversation lol.

Reply #39

I was simply pointing out that I wasn't arguing against anyone using the CLI if they prefer the CLI. You seemed to think I wanted to ban the CLI or something.

Reply #40

I was trying to point out that different people will find different solutions easier. You seemed to think that I was saying the GUI was worse.

Reply #41

Ok, so we agree that anyone can use WTF they like.

Reply #42

:-[

Reply #44

Well then WTF are we arguing about? ;D