Skip to main content
Topic: VPS @ $ 3.5 per month (Read 3058 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VPS @ $ 3.5 per month

Reply #1

You should survey around or try first.

Personally, after knowing how to run and administer own server using dynamic dns, I have lesser interest in hosting services including vps.

I plan to later convert to ssd and quad core processor.

Good luck with the new vps!

Reply #2

Dunno, last year I found something in that area of price, it was mostly okay until the VPS got stuck for about 4 days without any possibility to connect neither over SSH nor from the host control panel, I had to wait the support that did something after 4/5 days when I had already migrated to another provider.

If memory serves me right, OVH is a well known hosting provider, I guess the support should be a bit better.

ETA: and regarding self-hosted-dynamic-dns, if I had to use my internet connection, I wouldn't even be able to support the first scan by google without saturating the upload bandwidth. :P http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5444771084
Also, it requires you to keep your computer up 24/24 7/7, if you have to provide a minimum of backup in case of problems you have to have a second computer handy, etc.
Honestly too much hassles. :P
Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 05:17:18 am by emanuele
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

I agree with Emanuele, support is not the best part OVH can offer. But the quality of their VPS is getting better. We use at work 3 vps OVH cloud, price is less than 10€/month and they are all working fine
https://www.ovh.it/vps/vps-cloud.xml
sorry for my bad english

Reply #4

Hassles are fun. :D

Reply #5

damn ema that's slow
LiveGallery - Simple gallery addon for ElkArte

Reply #6

I'm quite aware of it! XD
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

I meant that my internet speed is pretty close to emanuele's, a tad faster.