Skip to main content
Topic: Likes and Quickbuttons dont work (Read 2234 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Likes and Quickbuttons dont work

Reply #15

Quote from: Steeley – The topic originally squawked still has missing "Like" buttons in most (but not all) posts .. I presume that is not related to this particular fix.

For me, those that are visible can't be liked, so it's just showing because they have current likes.
No idea what is up with that. The topic is not locked, so likes should still be enabled for that topic.

Reply #16

Quote from: Burke_Knight – For me, those that are visible can't be liked, so it's just showing because they have current likes.
No idea what is up with that. The topic is not locked, so likes should still be enabled for that topic.

Ah - yes .. confirmed.  Not only do some posts not have a "Like" Button, but those that do don't work.. I suspect that has to do with the Topic Permissions being fiddled with (Initially "Likes" enabled, then set to disabled, later set to enabled again, later still disabled again..) Not sure who has admin privileges to do that.. dueling admins? Or maybe they just be messing with us, eh?  :shocked:

// Deep inside every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives //

Reply #17

Just wait until the ElkArte files come out !!

Reply #18

I wonder if Section 230 covers any of this..  :tongue:  :rolleyes:

Reply #20

Hi!

This is me as well: Ruth

I fear, this is forbidden, what i did now, registering a second account. :embarrassed:  But i wanted to test it.
There are no problems at all with this new account. The quick edit button is working fine with my new name.

I really don't know, what is wrong with my first account here. I changed the settings in profile a few times now for testing, if something might change. Yesterday I also tried to change the themes here for testing, if maybe the quick buttons will work better in another theme. I hardly could change back to the default theme then. Needed to try this a few times.

Ruth is an "old account" registerd long ago before newer ElkArte Versions had been used. Maybe the problems I have now with this account are caused by "older settings" for normal users? No Idea.

Reply #22

Quote from: it is just me – Ruth is an "old account" registerd long ago before newer ElkArte Versions had been used. Maybe the problems I have now with this account are caused by "older settings" for normal users? No Idea.

I'm trying to get access to my old account. If can, then I can check to see if have same issues with the old account as you are with the Ruth account.

Reply #23

Quote from: it is just me –
Quote from: it is just me – There are no problems at all with this new account. The quick edit button is working fine with my new name.

Quote button is working as well.

I'd would assist, but I don't have an "old" account unless "old is anything more than, say,  one created in the last week (I tried to create an old account to test with but EA wouldn't let me... although I don't think that's a bug, @Spuds .. :zany_face:  ).

But I may be able to assist if:

• someone ( @Ruth / @it is just me ?)  clarifies what topics/boards exhibit(ed) the problem. If it is only ElkArte 1.1.9 - Release Announcement, yes, that is a goofy thread/topic for me still.  Is it some other topic/board also? Or is the release topic now working with the new account??
  • @Burke Knight will clarify what he's referring to (other topics/boards or just the release topic) when he said:  "Like and Quote seem to work now". His account is a bit older than mine, and apparently he had the problem "in other boards" but now doesn't, and I either never have seen it (release topic excepted) or don't know what other boards/topics are referred to (see first item in the list..)

If I can buy a clue, I'll see if I can help solve the puzzle.. Otherwise I'll just drop back to lurk, scratch my bald spot and finish my morning breve'.. 

Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 09:53:07 am by Steeley

Reply #24

With my account "Ruth" it is the same in every board and topic here, no matter if I started the topic, or if I just replied to it.

Quoting with the quick buttons is working for me, since I changed the settings in my profile to "dont show quick reply" a few days ago.

But the quick edit does not work at all for "Ruth". I also tried it on very early posts of mine.

This account is 9 years old now, so i could at least imagine, that maybe older/newer settings for normal users could have caused this issue with the quick buttons for me. My browser is actuell, I also tried another one.

Reply #25

@Ruth  - the only items I've got checked in my profile (direct copy/paste) are:
  • Use quick reply on topic display
  • Use full editor in Quick Reply
  • Show quick-moderation checkboxes
  • Return to Topic after Posting by Default

Additionally:
  • Topics to display per page: forum default (20)
  • Messages to display per page: forum default (15)
  • First day of the week on the calendar: [Sunday]

What isn't checked is:
  • Use sidebar menu instead of dropdowns.
  • Use click to open menus, instead of hover to open.
  • Don't show users' avatars.
  • Don't show smileys / emoji in posts.
  • Hide the poster information area.
  • Don't show users' signatures.
  • Leave words uncensored.
  • Don't warn on new replies made while posting.
  • Show WYSIWYG editor on post page by default.
  • Enable automatic saving of drafts

My theme is the board default.

Pretty basic settings, methinks..

I wonder if you have different (legacy?) profile options..(maybe profile options you used to have, but were subsequently removed from selection, but still set in the database in conflict?) Hey, let me pluck that out of thin air..  :grimacing: 
Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 11:25:52 am by Steeley

Reply #26

At the moment I have only 3 options enabled, before it was one more:

- Enable automatic saving of drafts
- Return to Topic after Posting
- Show quick-moderation checkboxes

Edit:

Now I have just this 2 enabled:

- Enable automatic saving of drafts
- Return to Topic after Posting

It is still the same: quick edit does not work for me.

Reply #27

What happens if you set up the check boxes exactly like mine?  Quick Edit shows and works for me..

("Emanating into the penumbra" again, I wonder, if you are using the German translation files, if there's a an inadvertent "negation" of a setting meaning from English?)  
Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 11:45:27 am by Steeley

Reply #28

Quote from: Steeley – What happens if you set up the check boxes exactly like mine? 

nothing :grin: I had it like this before.

Thank you for your help, Steeley. :smiley:

This with the quickbuttons is not really important to me. I can deal without quick edit...it is just a bit less comfortable.

But I think, there is something not okay with this behavior....for some reason.

Reply #29

Well, something is different..
Only two things I can think of is either the OS/browser(s), or someone needs to open the database and compare your user profile fields to mine and see what, if anything, is different..

Of course, it could be almost anything and probably is..  :cry:

Edit: Scratch that, if you are using the same OS/Browser with the new account and it works, that's not it either..
Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 12:32:30 pm by Steeley