Skip to main content
Topic: Post Warning Adjustment Idea (Read 5888 times) previous topic - next topic

Post Warning Adjustment Idea

This is something I thought of, after a recent topic at sm.org.
The post warning, for old topics. As is now, members can disable seeing the message, but not all members really understand that, nor know that it's okay to post in old topics in certain boards/topics.

What I suggest, is removing the option from members to hide the warning. But, the forum admin should have the ability to hide the warning, on a board, if wanted. Look at the mod/theme support boards on SM.org, and the ones here, too, for example. Boards like them, is where the ability to not have the warning, would be best. How many people do you think start support topics, due to seeing the warning to not post in old topics?

I figure, it could be added to the modify boards, where the admin can check a box to hide the post warning on that board.

Re: Post Warning Adjustment Idea

Reply #1

Interesting! nods
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

I like that idea as well ... should be added as a feature / enhancement to 1.1 IMO

Reply #3

I liked the idea so much that I added a custom permission for it on my smf :D Nice one!
P.S.: yes emanuele, I did it on my own :P Strange enough it works xD
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #4

Burke Knight passes out in shock!

Reply #5

I may be looking in the wrong place, but I can't find a way for users to disable that warning, neither in Elk nor in SMF... :o
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Actually it is so easy that I could do it myself... Hold on, I'll try to fetch my rough but working code.

ManagePermissions
Code: [Select]
'warn_on_new_replies' => array(false, 'profile', 'edit_profile'),

Profile.template
Code: [Select]
if (allowedTo('warn_on_new_replies'))
echo '
<li>
<input type="hidden" name="default_options[no_new_reply_warning]" value="0" />
<label for="no_new_reply_warning"><input type="checkbox" name="default_options[no_new_reply_warning]" id="no_new_reply_warning" value="1"', !empty($context['member']['options']['no_new_reply_warning']) ? ' checked="checked"' : '', ' class="input_check" /> ', $txt['no_new_reply_warning'], '</label>
</li>';

I don't think I need to add the language string, you know it WAY better than me. Still... Yeah there is no default function, I really have to stop considering stuff as default even if they aren't... Curious that my own SMF looks a lot like Elk, functionality-wise, with a few additions and some removals.

Sorry for the late reply, as you probably know I was on holidays ;)

Reply #7

Wrong warning, Trout-boy.
The one we are talking about, and my post a bit messed up on, is the warning get that states about topic being old.

Reply #8

breaks desk for not finding the correct one and for having posted the wrong one

EDIT: ooooh, I see. Basically I had misunderstood the whole thing from the beginning and did it with the "Don't warn on new replies made while posting" thing. Hmm.
Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 10:07:08 pm by Flavio93Zena

Reply #9

Dont worry about that Ninja. If anyone have the time for it, just share it here. It is board related permission by the way. Then PR it. This should be a good addition to current code. If not added, we can do it by addon later.

We are still in Eid festive mode in Malaysia with lots of cookies to eat. I'll try to look into it later.

Reply #10

I'm not sure what others think, but personally, I don't see this one made into a permission but a simple on/off setting at board level.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #11

That's what I'd like.
Where the Administrator could set certain boards not to display the warning.

Reply #12

Quote from: emanuele – I'm not sure what others think, but personally, I don't see this one made into a permission but a simple on/off setting at board level.
True, probably easier, too. Green light on my end :P