Skip to main content
Topic: Giant Catfish (Read 1516 times) previous topic - next topic

Giant Catfish

Are you kidding me !!!

This was caught in Italy's River Po, 9' 4" long. 

The think looks like a flipping dinosaur.

How would you like to be noodling and have this beast latch on.

Re: Giant Catfish

Reply #1

That'll require a massive deep fryer, and a cardiologist on site.  :cheesy: 

Noodling looks fun. People seem joyous in the act. My sensible side, if not paranoid, wonders what else may latch on under there.  :shocked: 

Reply #2

It will require a enormous batch of hush puppies and a tanker of Cajun Chef (hot sauce) ... at least here, not sure how its commonly served in Italy.   Damn,  now I'm craving catfish ... going to need to go to the catfish parlor for lunch tomorrow :yum:

Reply #3

A couple miles "up-lake" (Lake Havasu)  from the Parker Dam on the California side is a little resort called "Black Meadow Landing". They have a bar right on the Lake shore (or at least did when I lived in the area some 40 years ago, doesn't look like it's still there) that had a lot of pictures of the Parker Dam being built back in the mid 30's, and Dam-related memorabilia  - I think the guy, Gene, if I remember correctly, that built/owned it worked for/retired from the Metropolitan Water District that maintained the dam. Anyway, he also had a few pictures of divers down inspecting the dam over the years, and one I remember was odd..  it showed a diver with a couple of spots - sorta like this  (this is an approximation I have made from memory to give you an idea, in the actual picture the diver was facing the camera directly rather than a side shot..).

640.jpg

Supposedly taken a few feet from the base of the dam just above the bottom on the lake side in the late 1950s, hard to make out the diver due to the lighting and murkiness of the water, I asked him about the 'dots', positioned as if the diver were to reach out with both hands in a "Y" and point at them. Gene told me they were the eyes of a monster catfish behind the diver. Gene also said it was that divers last dive at the dam.

Now, the old hotel in Parker had some old-timey picts in the lobby, supposedly one with both Henry Ford and Louis Chevrolet were in Parker during a "cross country car race" (I've never been able to confirm actually happened), and another of the Hotel owner (who lived in a 4 room shack a block north of Arizona avenue, one room for his horse!) circa 1924 holding up a tarantula by its back legs, its body mostly covering his, with its front legs dragging on the ground (he was only 5'6" or so, but still..).

OK.. fun stuff, but Gene swore up and down the diver photo was genuine and not "retouched". 
Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 02:52:10 am by Steeley

// Deep inside every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives //

Reply #4

I'll have to find some classic B horror films about giant catfish, must be some out there:fish:

Reply #5

Supposedly the one caught in Italy (9 ft., est. weight @ 300 lbs) possible record for "caught on tackle", but is actually a "little one:undecided:  :embarrassed:  :tongue:

Horror flick? Here ya go, Spuds..  :grin:  (supposed to be a 'killer catfish' - but with teeth/fangs?)

There are 'stories' of small kids swimming and dragged under and eaten by catfish -South America I think - where the natives' habit is to "dispose of" their dead in the river, and presumed the local catfish apparently developed a taste for human flesh, although catfish will eat dang near anything. There's another story of a catfish caught in a net dragged onto shore and found with a man's legs still protruding from its mouth .. that was in the Mekong River I think...  'Tall tail tales' (or are they? Be very afraid...)
Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 04:37:51 pm by Steeley

Reply #6

Thanks!   Looks like my weekend will be all set ... Beer,  Bratwurst and B movies !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Nskpe4Iws

Reply #7

I've read this news a couple of days back,  it was also in TV. The giant was 285 cm, 4-5 cm longer than the actual record. It was impossible for the author to get the weight and he decided to release the giant.
Quote"I was sure that the fish I had caught was special, but I could never have imagined what would happen next when we measured it. The meter stopped at 285 centimeters, it's the new world record for a catfish. I was very curious to know its weight, but I was afraid of stressing that rare specimen too much, so I decided to release it safely, hoping it could bring the same joy to another angler that it gave to me."
Po river is 50 km far away from where I live. :wink: 
sorry for my bad english

Reply #8

Catch and release, love it :D
Quote from: radu81 – Po river is 50 km far away from where I live
Don't let you kids swim in that river ... just sayin !

Reply #9

I won't :wink: 
sorry for my bad english

Reply #10

Speaking of rivers to avoid, the title was initially unsettling. Was this a tale of some internet debacle gone awry? Were you contacted by my ex wife?  :cheesy: 

Reply #11

Quote from: Spuds – Catch and release, love it :D

Yea mon, that thing is probably really annoyed now and wants payback.. (Drag the kid under to show HIS buddies what HE caught.. heck, that thing is big enough to latch onto ANYBODY's leg and drag them down.)

Quote from: badmonkey – Speaking of rivers to avoid, the title was initially unsettling. Was this a tale of some internet debacle gone awry? Were you contacted by my ex wife?  :cheesy:

My internet search had to filter out several horror movies regarding that aspect of Catfishing..  :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 09:08:31 am by Steeley

Reply #12

Quote from: Spuds – Catch and release, love it :D

BTW, Spuds..  ever since you changed your Avatar, every time I see one of your posts  I get this David Bromberg song playing in the back of my mind..   (which is OK, since the song is hilarious.. except it eats up 15 minutes of otherwise productive time, unless it starts looping, which then blows the whole day..) :upside_down:

bfb.jpg

But better that than "hypnotoad" I suppose.. :thinking:
Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 08:48:48 pm by Steeley

Reply #13

Had to listen to that song several times to pick up on all the lines !!  Now I've lost a couple of days, how did it get to be Sunday  :shocked:

I do like hypno-toad, have to see if I can make that my next avatar  :tongue:

Reply #14

Quote from: Spuds – Had to listen to that song several times to pick up on all the lines !!  Now I've lost a couple of days, how did it get to be Sunday  :shocked:

I do like hypno-toad, have to see if I can make that my next avatar  :tongue:

Hmmm, now there's a twist.. "bait" gonna try to hypnotize the catfish... :dizzy_face:
(It cocked an eye at me, I cocked an eye at it...)