Skip to main content
Topic: FTP and the Package Manager (Read 3824 times) previous topic - next topic

FTP and the Package Manager

I have not used this feature in so long that I'm looking for input on if its even useful at all.

We have some FTP functionality intertwined in the package manager code, and its main use is to change permissions on files / directories.  I believe the general idea is that the web server user/group may not have permission to create/alter directories or files and using FTP with your hosting credentials will provide the needed permissions.

This code is IMO pretty ugly and I'm not really sure its useful theses days.   I feel most users would use their own FTP client or the web control panel to fix permissions etc, but perhaps not.

I think this may also be somewhat unique, I don't know if other forum software have this functionality or how they deal with the problem, if its even that big of a problem anymore?

Thanks for your input.

Re: FTP and the Package Manager

Reply #1

I have never used this functionality. Like you said the preferred method involves client software. Is there any chance the functionality could provide a potential attack vector? If so, definitely eliminate it. Others may make good points....

Reply #2

Just remove it. And that old data backup too.

Reply #3

Never used it.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #4

heh.
This is another tricky one.
Not so long ago, I've seen several people installing the forum through Softaculous and alike, and then tried to manage the entire thing through a cellphone.
That may work, though it's tough.
In a similar config ftp support would be mandatory.

On the other hand, I've seen several people asking to support sFTP (or any of the alternatives). And this makes me think someone actually uses it.

But, darn it's a pain.

Personally I don't think I've ever used it (even only because I always fear that changing permissions would create troubles).

I think an intermediate solution could be interesting: drop the binding to the package manager and have a separated feature "fix file permissions" that would go through the file system and try to fix possible permission problems.
This should make it easier to deal with PM code and FTP code. Dunno.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

What happened to the die with fire guy, I miss him :D

Reply #6

Ohh... well, I didn't say you have to implement the other feature *now*.
 emanuele whistles innocently
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

Maybe my answer was not so honest, the correct answer should be: never used it on elkarte ;)

Quote from: emanuele – On the other hand, I've seen several people asking to support sFTP (or any of the alternatives). And this makes me think someone actually uses it.
I used it on SMF years ago, and probably in the past I've asked for sFTP support since I don't have FTP support on my VPS. I am talking about the possibility to make database backups which is asking for FTP support. There are many other ways to make database backups and the method included in smf/elkarte is probably the last option I would use today. For me it's useless and could be removed, but it's your choice ;)
I'm not even sure this method will work on a big forum with a large database.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #8

DB backup is slightly out of scope here. :P
That said...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:52:58 am by Spuds
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

Anyone know how "other" fora packages deal with permission issues, like xenforo?  Difficult server configs are not unique to us.

For some reason there was an extra spoiler closing tag above, I removed it but don't know if it was a potential bug or just keyboard spam.

Reply #10

As far as I know there is no such option in Xf 1.x, 2.1 I need to check but I guess it's the same.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #11

Let me try with a Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Looks good. Probably just types it twice...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.