Skip to main content
Topic: How to do clean migration (Read 4192 times) previous topic - next topic

How to do clean migration

Hi, the first time i'm using elkarte is on VestaCP, but it got infected with malware and since then moved to Nginx and VPS.

Now, the problem is when I want to migrate back to cPanel, i forgot and the malware is still there. all my url are redirected to
Code: [Select]
traf-extractor.ru
. and forced me to cancel the migration.

this made me recall that all the wordpress site on the former servers i can do clean reinstall and just moving the content and db.

but with elkarte i don't know how to do it correctly, and thus i create this topic. so help?

thank you!

p.s i already checked the files and not found anything. htaccess is clean, even deleted it. no friendly url used.

p,s,2 please made elkarte use relative path if possible. it will made my life easier when moving on another host or server, just like wordpress it just works.
192.MY.ID: Forum ISP Indonesia.

Re: How to do clean migration

Reply #1

I would say: do an install, install all mods you have on the infected version and finally wipe out the db of the new install and import the old one.
That should do.
It may have of course directories to fix.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

thanks.

so i should do import database manually? and then using repair,php to fix the path?

i will try it later.

Reply #3

Yes, usual procedure.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

just a followup. it easier to do clean migration vps > vps than vps > shared. maybe caused by many limitations and no ssh access.

so here what i did:
1. backup database
2. backup attachment
3. install a new elkarte board
4. install all addons from old board. (just a note when i activating 3 from 6 suddenly went white screen)
5. restore attachments to new board
6. restore database to new board. (i just forced it, and the board can be accessed normally again).
7. done with some minor adjustments here and there.

but repair settings is not needed but i checked, all path are correct without any fixing.

Reply #5

Quote from: kucing – but repair settings is not needed but i checked, all path are correct without any fixing.
Well... paths cannot be fixed without fixing. URLs yes (expected), but not paths. Unless the VPS and the shared have exactly the same path structure. Unlikely.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Quote from: emanuele –
Quote from: kucing – but repair settings is not needed but i checked, all path are correct without any fixing.
Well... paths cannot be fixed without fixing. URLs yes (expected), but not paths. Unless the VPS and the shared have exactly the same path structure. Unlikely.

i moved from nginx to openlitespeed. different virtual host location. that's why i'm surprised too.

iirc, when moving completely based on backup, the board still using old paths and need fixing. and i did write about that here few years ago.

but when you just install new board, restore attachments, and last database. there are minor things left. maybe because the paths are hardcoded to Settings.php?

Reply #7

The general paths are in Settings, though the attachments path, the smiley paths, the theme paths are all in the db.
There may be some failsafe here and there, but I don't think everything would work just fine. Oh well.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

then it's better than expected. :)