Skip to main content
Topic: Various bugs (Read 7533 times) previous topic - next topic

Various bugs

- I'm regularly getting the 'message is empty' error when starting a new topic and entering the topic title. That's because I do most of my typing with my keyboard, so I'll navigate to the textarea with Tab. It seems ElkArte doesn't like that.[1]

- Footnote bug on next line when an extra linebreak is inserted manually. (See this line.)

- The 'preview' bit on Recent Posts is awful on mobile. It's a real pain to find the correct hit point and scroll it down, then wait to avoid it'll reset itself, then scroll the screen down, then catch the hit point again, then drag it down again, etc. Why not just add a 'Click to show more' entry at the bottom of the post..? That's what is done for instance in Disqus comments. Or YouTube these days. Not a 'bad' way of doing it. I think I'll implement something like that later, but with a much bigger threshold.

- Quick edit is broken.

- Textarea width problem in quick reply, as indicated in another topic.

- When I reach the end of the 'default' textarea height, half of my line is cut off by the resizing handle. That is, I can't see periods (.) -- it doesn't always happen, only happens on every other new line. I still think it should be looked into because you can't expect people to post only short messages...?

- When scrolling with the mouse wheel in a topic, the up/down arrows on the right side of the screen are jerky. Definitely not position:fixed-like, which is odd.

- When scrolling up, in topics and new post pages (probably more), a white box with green border comes up in the top side of the screen, to the left. I've been unable to identify it, but it immediately disappears. Very, very annoying too. JavaScript makes wonders in UI, but not when it comes to fixed positioning. I'd be curious to know what that box is about, though... ;)

I think that's all for now. :P

(Using Chrome 33 on Windows 7.)

--edited for footnote bbcode. (I keep using my own.)
Did I already say how much ElkArte doesn't strike me as a nice, easy-to-remember fork name..? Which is a shame considering the amount of work that's been put into it.
Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 12:15:14 pm by Nao

Re: Various bugs

Reply #1

Quote from: Nao – - I'm regularly getting the 'message is empty' error when starting a new topic and entering the topic title. That's because I do most of my typing with my keyboard, so I'll navigate to the textarea with Tab. It seems ElkArte doesn't like that.
Yeah, I know... it has been reported at least three times, but... heh too lazy to fix it. :P

Quote from: Nao – [nb]Did I already say how much ElkArte doesn't strike me as a nice, easy-to-remember fork name..? Which is a shame considering the amount of work that's been put into it.[/nb]
 emanuele is too lazy to change everything again, but don't worry, someone came up with a nice surprise for 1.0! :P

Quote from: Nao – - Textarea width problem in quick reply, as indicated in another topic.

- When I reach the end of the 'default' textarea height, half of my line is cut off by the resizing handle. That is, I can't see periods (.) -- it doesn't always happen, only happens on every other new line. I still think it should be looked into because you can't expect people to post only short messages...?
 emanuele has to switch on the W7 machine and update chrome...

Quote from: Nao – - When scrolling with the mouse wheel in a topic, the up/down arrows on the right side of the screen are jerky. Definitely not position:fixed-like, which is odd.
???
They look fine to me, but I'm weird myself (and the browsers I use lol), so I'll leave that one to someone that knows something about the theme.

Quote from: Nao – - When scrolling up, in topics and new post pages (probably more), a white box with green border comes up in the top side of the screen, to the left. I've been unable to identify it, but it immediately disappears. Very, very annoying too. JavaScript makes wonders in UI, but not when it comes to fixed positioning. I'd be curious to know what that box is about, though... ;)
Is it the one in the attachment?
It's accessibility thing:
Code: [Select]
	<a id="top" href="#skipnav">Skip Navigation</a>
<a href="#top" id="gotop" title="Go Up">↑</a>
<a href="#bot" id="gobottom" title="Go Down">↓</a>
When you are for the first time on a page and you hit tab this pops down out of nowhere so that you can skip the navigation block (menus and linktree) and go straight to the "main_content_section".

Thanks!
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Quote from: emanuele –
 emanuele is too lazy to change everything again, but don't worry, someone came up with a nice surprise for 1.0! :P
What, you're going back to Dialogo? :P (Now that's a name I could have rooted for... When it started, I was jelly for a sec! Then again, wedge.org has an ...edge to it :D)

Oh btw, I think you replied to my post while I was editing it (see footnote tag), so I added a few things in it, if you want to read it again.

Yep, it's like in your screenshot. Only I can only see the bottom of that box. But yeah, it means all three of these accessibility links are broken in topic pages, at least in Chrome. They seem to be modified by JS, or something.

QuoteThanks!
In case it isn't obvious, I like both Protendo and ElkArte (not as much as I like Wedge though, but it kinda makes sense...), and would contribute to ElkArte if I wasn't so much put off by the whole MVC rewrite and the fact that I never got around to making peace with Norv, at least officially. (She and I never got to talk after I left the SMF team, AFAICR.)
Still, I'm all for forks. I wish success to all three of ours. By success, I don't mean 'popularity' because it's unrealistic (SMF has 10 years worth of marketing behind it), but at very least, completion and being able to find a diehard audience.
I should know-- over 3 years and counting for me. If I'd been told that when I started, I probably wouldn't have signed up. So I understand how we all need as much help as possible to be able to grow, and make our work worth it.

Reply #3

Quote from: Nao – In case it isn't obvious, I like both Protendo and ElkArte (not as much as I like Wedge though, but it kinda makes sense...), and would contribute to ElkArte if I wasn't so much put off by the whole MVC rewrite and the fact that I never got around to making peace with Norv, at least officially. (She and I never got to talk after I left the SMF team, AFAICR.)
Still, I'm all for forks. I wish success to all three of ours. By success, I don't mean 'popularity' because it's unrealistic (SMF has 10 years worth of marketing behind it), but at very least, completion and being able to find a diehard audience.
I should know-- over 3 years and counting for me. If I'd been told that when I started, I probably wouldn't have signed up. So I understand how we all need as much help as possible to be able to grow, and make our work worth it.
I check only 3 sites nowadays, in SMF land: Elkarte, Wedge and my own(well, SMF site too, but less than these). So a wish for success for all of us from me as well.

TBH I have been having serious doubts lately, whether to keep at it. For myself, sure, but for others too? Still debating with myself on this, but its good to hear that I am not alone in feeling if its worth the effort or not. I've stopped focusing on the main site for a while now, using my personal site as a hideout instead. Its good, and I think I made some small changes for the better too.

Thanks for the boost :D 

Reply #4

QuoteYep, it's like in your screenshot. Only I can only see the bottom of that box. But yeah, it means all three of these accessibility links are broken in topic pages, at least in Chrome. They seem to be modified by JS, or something.
I did not even know we had that  :) looks like it also has some z-index problems, at least when I can figure out how to get it to show up

Quote- When I reach the end of the 'default' textarea height, half of my line is cut off by the resizing handle. That is, I can't see periods (.) -- it doesn't always happen, only happens on every other new line. I still think it should be looked into because you can't expect people to post only short messages...?
Seems to do it in Chrome but Not FX ... well anyway looks like the bottom margin set is smaller than the bottom grab bar, so the text drops behind that.  I made the css change in a PR so lets see if that takes care of that issue.

Quote- Quick edit is broken.

- When scrolling with the mouse wheel in a topic, the up/down arrows on the right side of the screen are jerky. Definitely not position:fixed-like, which is odd.
These I have not been able to reproduce, need to try some other settings.  The quick edit is working for me as admin and as a regular user, so don't know whats going on  :-\    Chrome 33 is a beta I guess?  My chrome on W7 says 31 and no updates are available?

The site is a couple of weeks behind the repo, so this weekend I'll get it synced up again so its the latest, some bugs have been fixed, but as always some more may find a new home.

Reply #5

Quote from: Bloc – I check only 3 sites nowadays, in SMF land: Elkarte, Wedge and my own(well, SMF site too, but less than these). So a wish for success for all of us from me as well.
8)

QuoteTBH I have been having serious doubts lately, whether to keep at it.
Why? Because of the small size of our forks' audiences..? (I have at most a dozen regular users, you have about 3 not including you, Elk has a few more but not much.)
If we wanted to 'kill' SMF, we should have forked AND released three years ago. None of us did that, so it's not an option anyway, ah ah. Remember, having a successful fork means you have to support it. You can't just give it up, like Nightwish did with his. It's a responsibility. So, you have to determine whether you want to show a 'what if' version that's not intended for a wide use on the Internet but rather as inspiration for other pieces of software, or if you want to provide a realistic alternative to the original. Wedge is in between these two worlds, Elk is clearly in the 'alternative' field (so I'd understand if they felt bad about the lack of success, but they'll have to wait for a stable release first), and Protendo, IIRC, is in the 'what if' field, at least more than ViennaBBS I think. Protendo, however, is more akin (to me) to a magazine/blog publishing platform with great user management, which is similar to my original goal for Wedge (which I gave up over the years as Pete was making changes to the codebase that made it harder for me to just add these features in. Also, I fell in love with JavaScript and performance optimization in the meantime, which was very much unlike working on a UI for a publishing platform.)

Anyway, what I mean is, if Protendo doesn't get released, nobody will blame you for it. But you should at least consider keeping it as a portfolio of what SMF could be if it got serious about modern design.

QuoteThanks for the boost :D
Anytime! ;D

Quote from: Spuds – Seems to do it in Chrome but Not FX ... well anyway looks like the bottom margin set is smaller than the bottom grab bar, so the text drops behind that.  I made the css change in a PR so lets see if that takes care of that issue.
Good!

Quote- Quick edit is broken.
These I have not been able to reproduce, need to try some other settings.
QE just doesn't react to my clicks on the button. Textarea, mostly (only?) happens when coming to the reply page from another page. Scrolling, happens systematically on Display pages.
Debugged QE for you.
QuickModify.prototype.onMessageReceived = function(a) --> a is set to 'false', so calling getElementById on it might be a bad idea... ;) It stops at that point, right after ajax_indicator(true).

Reply #6

Quote from: Nao –
Quote from: Bloc – I check only 3 sites nowadays, in SMF land: Elkarte, Wedge and my own(well, SMF site too, but less than these). So a wish for success for all of us from me as well.
8)

QuoteTBH I have been having serious doubts lately, whether to keep at it.
Why? Because of the small size of our forks' audiences..? (I have at most a dozen regular users, you have about 3 not including you, Elk has a few more but not much.)
Well, not as much the lack of audience as lack of inspiration I guess..or maybe closer to the truth, lack of time of actually using it on a site. Sometimes you work so hard on a thing you forget why you started it, so you need to get back to just using it, see what spurred you to start on x feature in the first place. I think thats where I am right now.
QuoteIf we wanted to 'kill' SMF, we should have forked AND released three years ago. None of us did that, so it's not an option anyway, ah ah. Remember, having a successful fork means you have to support it. You can't just give it up, like Nightwish did with his. It's a responsibility. So, you have to determine whether you want to show a 'what if' version that's not intended for a wide use on the Internet but rather as inspiration for other pieces of software, or if you want to provide a realistic alternative to the original. Wedge is in between these two worlds, Elk is clearly in the 'alternative' field (so I'd understand if they felt bad about the lack of success, but they'll have to wait for a stable release first), and Protendo, IIRC, is in the 'what if' field, at least more than ViennaBBS I think. Protendo, however, is more akin (to me) to a magazine/blog publishing platform with great user management, which is similar to my original goal for Wedge (which I gave up over the years as Pete was making changes to the codebase that made it harder for me to just add these features in. Also, I fell in love with JavaScript and performance optimization in the meantime, which was very much unlike working on a UI for a publishing platform.)

Anyway, what I mean is, if Protendo doesn't get released, nobody will blame you for it. But you should at least consider keeping it as a portfolio of what SMF could be if it got serious about modern design.
Very true. I known this all along of course..but wouldn't it be great to just do a awesome AND popular thing for once? :) SMF seems like a road of a few highlights, then a lot of bad choices.. and theres of course that dwindling appreciation of forum software in general, people don't use it s much as before anymore.

QuoteThanks for the boost :D
Anytime! ;D
:D

Reply #7

Yes you can do both awesome and popular, but you need to have a team then. If you're passionate about your software, you can't properly advertise it. (Unless you consider my non-wedge.org posts about Wedge to be advertising, in which case it's still very badly done :P).

You have your movie reviews using Protendo, and I have my blog and my prog-rock database using my code over at Noisen, but not running Wedge because of license issues. I'm sure I would resume work on that site if I started using Wedge on it, that would be swell. But I doubt I'll put it to use any time soon, I'm afraid.

Reply #8

QuoteQE just doesn't react to my clicks on the button. Textarea, mostly (only?) happens when coming to the reply page from another page. Scrolling, happens systematically on Display pages.
Debugged QE for you.
QuickModify.prototype.onMessageReceived = function(a) --> a is set to 'false', so calling getElementById on it might be a bad idea... ;) It stops at that point, right after ajax_indicator(true).
So your seeing a false return on the ajax response, how odd,  I'm not immediately sure what would be causing that for you.

Spuds goes to check the logs

Reply #9

Good to see I'm not the only one with QE problems here. I don't have any problems with a new install or anything. But on this site, I cannot get it to work so far (in chrome).

Strangely enough, I just discovered if I put Chrome into private browsing and go to quick edit, it works fine....
Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 06:19:20 pm by IchBin
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #10

You and Nao are probably not clicking the button correctly :P noobs  :P

Reply #11

I'm clicking it with my rat's left ear, like my grandma explained to me. (Or is that a tortoise?)

Reply #12

;D  .... See there's your problem, you have to use the right ear or the browser knockulator will not fire and the entire thing fails.

Interesting that it works in privacy mode for IchBin, almost makes me think its a security header problem.

ETA:
QuoteTextarea width problem in quick reply, as indicated in another topic.
I think I tracked this one down as well ... if you have QR on but "not shown" by default, the editor fails to properly determine the size of the element its being attached to. in our case its set in a %, so the editor drops the % and uses the remaining as the width (not sure what its doing on the height).   Anyway I added a little JS function to check for this condition and then properly pass a width that it can use.  Seems to work well on my local so will make another PR for that.

Still can't reproduce the QE issue :(
Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 11:28:29 pm by Spuds