Google+ profile field

I think I found another one in Beta 2... Text inserted in profile field:

Quotegoogle.com/+JörgHelfmann73

URL opened in browser:

(fairflixxt.de is my domain).

Re: Google+ profile field

Reply #2

Yep. Great, thanks. Shame on me.  :-[

Thought I didn't need the "http" because the Facebook profile field too needs only the facebook name, not the complete URL. So the two fields are not working the same kind of way? Maybe this should be better described.

Reply #3

Yep, LinkedIn and G+ are a bit inconsistent with FB and Twitter...

I'm not sure which one is better, probably the best would be to ask for the url, but "silently" (or explicitly) accept the username too for twitter and FB, something like: "URL or username of your FB/Twitter account".
I think when I wrote my SMF mod I did it that way because G+ and LI provide the full url, while FB and Twitter are more oriented towards the use of the username.

Opinions are welcome.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

yeah, it's somewhat inconsistent but that's the nature of those fields..
LinkedIn and G+ can have various formats ..

plus.google.com/103918273618145415664
or just google.com/+ThorstenEurich

Since you can add various other services yourself (e.g. MySpace, Xing or whatever) there's always the possibility of an inconsistency. I'd leave it as it currently is...
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #5

Quote from: Jorin – Yep. Great, thanks. Shame on me.  :-[

Thought I didn't need the "http" because the Facebook profile field too needs only the facebook name, not the complete URL. So the two fields are not working the same kind of way? Maybe this should be better described.

Anytime. :)

No questions are stupid, only answers are ;)

Reply #6

Quote from: emanuele – Yep, LinkedIn and G+ are a bit inconsistent with FB and Twitter...

I'm not sure which one is better, probably the best would be to ask for the url, but "silently" (or explicitly) accept the username too for twitter and FB, something like: "URL or username of your FB/Twitter account".
I think when I wrote my SMF mod I did it that way because G+ and LI provide the full url, while FB and Twitter are more oriented towards the use of the username.

Opinions are welcome.

May be we can just describe the format in which the url/username to be entered above the box.

Reply #7

(Google)+1  :D

Reply #8

Good point, an example is usually a good thing! :D

It may (but that's more for "later") be an option to add some kind of "validation", via javascript and/or php so that "broken" fields are verified and corrected where possible, or return an error.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

To consider for 1.0.3 a little change of some text with an example?

@Jorin I just noticed the FB profile you are using here is broken, I think you used the whole url?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #12

I was looking into this: a little "warning" is already there:
QuoteThis is your Google+ profile url.
maybe it should be made a little more clear, something like:
QuoteEnter the full url to your Google+ profile.
does it look better?

Slightly related, the current way, in G+ and LinkedIn profiles, you can enter whatever url you want. It may be worth change the input mask from "no html" to a regexp and validate the url is actually pointing to one of the two social networks, for example for G+ it could be:
Code: [Select]
/^https*:\/\/(plus\.google\.com\/\d+|(plus\.)?google\.com\/\+.*)/
for LinkedIn it could be:
Code: [Select]
/^https*:\/\/(\w{2,4}\.)?linkedin\.com\/in\/.*/
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #13

From what I heard, Google plus is going to have the fate of Orkut. They have already detached Photos and there was a blog post from Google saying that YouTube too will be free.