Skip to main content
Topic: Drag and drop file upload area (Read 4367 times) previous topic - next topic

Drag and drop file upload area

In version 1.0.9 the drag and drop area disappears on smaller screens.  It would be great to have it visible so it may still be used on mobile devices.  How can that be made visible again?  Thanks!

Re: Drag and drop file upload area

Reply #1

dropAttachments.js:
Code: [Select]
		// Don't attach D&D on small screens
if (!window.matchMedia || window.matchMedia('(max-width: 33.750em)').matches)
return;
Drop that part and it should work on all devices.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Fantastic!  Thanks eman!  You da man!

Reply #3

Aah... I have to try this.

Reply #4

Out of curiosity: how do you use D&D on mobile devices? (Genuine question since I don't have one.)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Quote from: emanuele – Out of curiosity: how do you use D&D on mobile devices? (Genuine question since I don't have one.)

Using the Select button.  Actually I find this feature has better use for mobiles than on a desktop.  The progress meters provide feedback rather than just sitting there wondering if anything is happening.  That's nice if you're in an area with marginal data service.  Files can be uploading while you search through 3,000 other files for the next upload.  You can more easily see the filenames already selected, should you forget which they are.  Depending on setup, nginx can load the files to the server rather than tieing up other processes such as Apache while it waits 2 mins for an upload series to complete.  It has a better all around appearance.  ......I really don't know a downside....

Reply #6

Quote from: emanuele – Out of curiosity: how do you use D&D on mobile devices? (Genuine question since I don't have one.)
wait... you don't have a mobile phone/device?  :o
192.MY.ID: Forum ISP Indonesia.

Reply #7

Quote from: badmonkey –

Using the Select button.

That isn't D&D then, or is it?

Reply #8

Quote from: badmonkey – The progress meters provide feedback rather than just sitting there wondering if anything is happening. [...]
Ahhh.-.. good point actually.
I was tricked by thinking just to the D&D aspect of things (i.e. really drag the file to upload it) rather than the whole process.

Quote from: kucing – wait... you don't have a mobile phone/device?  :o
I do have a mobile phone. It's a Nokia 2710. Not really smart not really useful for anything else than phone.
TBH I'm not really a fan of the kind of portability that smartphone give (i.e. I don't want to be bothered too much when I'm around doing other things).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

Quote from: Jorin –
Quote from: badmonkey –

Using the Select button.

That isn't D&D then, or is it?

Yes, er no, er sort of?  lol!  Both upload methods do have buttons for file selection, you're absolutely right.  Using the D&D method with the Select button provides functionality not available in the old style Browse button. 

Perhaps there are reasons an admin would prefer the old style?  Maybe it should be a configurable option?  Not sure on that.  At least for now the code edit is quite satisfactory.  :)

Hope you guys are well, and hope you have a great day! 

Reply #10

Quote from: emanuele –
Quote from: badmonkey – The progress meters provide feedback rather than just sitting there wondering if anything is happening. [...]
Ahhh.-.. good point actually.
I was tricked by thinking just to the D&D aspect of things (i.e. really drag the file to upload it) rather than the whole process.

Quote from: kucing – wait... you don't have a mobile phone/device?  :o
I do have a mobile phone. It's a Nokia 2710. Not really smart not really useful for anything else than phone.
TBH I'm not really a fan of the kind of portability that smartphone give (i.e. I don't want to be bothered too much when I'm around doing other things).

eman, could you use an old deactivated smartphone to use for testing purposes?  There is a Samsung Galaxy S4 collecting dust here.  If it would be beneficial, it would be the least I could do to contribute to Elk.  ;)

Reply #11

Thank you very much for the offer. :)
I have around a somehow working smartphone, it's just that not using it daily I really can't catch the advantages of one feature over the other like you did here. :)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.