Skip to main content
Topic: Does anyone use engintron? (Read 3597 times) previous topic - next topic

Does anyone use engintron?

Engintron is a cpanel plugin for using nginx in a reverse proxy situation to apache. 

https://github.com/engintron/engintron

Scroll down for instructions.

Installation is super easy.  It works as advertised right out of the box.  Yada yada....

My question is this:  I'd really like to go to a standalone nginx configuration.  Since engintron has already installed nginx, and my server is already running php fpm, it seems a couple of edits and restarts should bypass apache altogether.  Does anyone know how to do that?  Or does anyone know another plugin that works as well that is capable of a standalone configuration?  I've tried a couple found in Giggle searches that didn't even install properly.   ::)

Re: Does anyone use engintron?

Reply #1

I only uses ispconfig 3.1 control panel and have not much knowledge about cpanel. So far that I know it should be easy to build your own server with nginx as reversed proxy to apache but without any control panel.

But if you require a control panel at the same time, it will be little bit harder. I have tried that with ISPConfig 3 and it takes most of my time figuring out. At the end I realized that you would need to create two config for each site you have i.e. one for nginx and one for apache.

Which means, if you have like half a dozen or less, may be you can try it. Otherwise, you need a script that can automate the creation of such config because by default every control panel only support using either one and not both.

To save your time, I would suggest you to choose either nginx or apache if you require a control panel a the same time.

Reply #2

Makes sense.  More than anything the goal is to ditch apache altogether.  What are your thoughts on linking a custom nginx install to cpanel php fpm?

Reply #3

emanuele feels @Spuds is teh man here. nods
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Quote from: badmonkey – Makes sense.  More than anything the goal is to ditch apache altogether.  What are your thoughts on linking a custom nginx install to cpanel php fpm?
If you wish not to use apache, just use nginx. I would prefer apache but you can use nginx for a server (like Spuds is using for this forum, I think). Anyway, I am not sure that cPanel supports nginx.

But, you can always build your own nginx sever with ispconfig control panel. Just heads up to howtoforge for ubuntu based server or debian based server (or you may find guide for centos and others too around there) and just follow the instructions. It should be an easy setup except in configuring its mailing system and adding a file manager. ;)

That should be fun things to do.  :D

Reply #5

Or using LiteSpeed/OpenLiteSpeed if you want a compatibility with Apache.
192.MY.ID: Forum ISP Indonesia.

Reply #6

Not really necessary if you intend to use Apache with Nginx-like-handling i.e. handles higher concurrency. For that, instead of using module mpm_prefork, you can consider using mpm_worker or mpm_event instead.

Reply #7

Update:

In the quest to ditch engintron for a standalone nginx, much gnashing of teeth and learning occurred.  And it's done!  Now, real sysadmins could do it in their sleep.  But then, real sysadmins wouldn't be using cpanel which monkeys with things... :D

It was easy after I figured out what needed to happen.   8)   Site performance is improved over the reverse proxy.  Not sure I could see the point in a reverse proxy...just adding more hoops for requests and more resource utilization....

I'm excited to have the improved setup.  Way better than apache, even when using mpm_event.   ;)

Reply #8

I've never quite been on board with the nginx+apache setups, guess I never really had a need for that configuration but I'm sure there are some cases where that is needed.

I've been running nginx + phpfpm for some time on a few setups and have been quite pleased with it.  I think some of the config files can confuse people though so it may not be as easy to setup but the performance is quite good.

Of course using Apache 2.4 with mpm_event, PHP-FPM and ProxyPass is a darn good setup as well.  Apaches mpm event stuff really closed the resource overhead and scaling between it and nginx.

If you want a less point and click server manager than say cpanel, then take a look at Froxlor I'm using that and do enjoy it. But its not an automatic setup, you have to manually edit all the system config files for nginx, postfix, mysql, etc etc ... it will provide you with the edits you need to make, but you need to make them.  Whats nice about that is it still allows you control of your settings as a sysadmin.

Reply #9

if you want nginx+apache setup for personal use with a panel then i recommend vestacp.

Reply #10

So which control panel you end up using @badmonkey? For me, currently using ISPConfig 3.1.1 feels really good and it fully supports and automates LE ssl as well.

Reply #11

I'm still using cpanel.  I like cpanel fine, other than lack of nginx support.  That's ok.  Nginx was easy to do. 

Reply #12

Quote from: badmonkey – I'm still using cpanel.  I like cpanel fine, other than lack of nginx support.  That's ok.  Nginx was easy to do. 
if you want performance on par with nginx but in cpanel try litespeed. i'm using openlitespeed on one of my vps and it's pretty comparable.
192.MY.ID: Forum ISP Indonesia.