Skip to main content
Topic: Why not talk about heartbleed! :P (Read 3395 times) previous topic - next topic

Why not talk about heartbleed! :P

I suppose you have heard about it already (OpenSSL bug, if you haven't just google it in your preferred language and you'll get plenty of results).

Github was affected too:
https://github.com/blog/1818-security-heartbleed-vulnerability
they suggest:
Quote1. Change your GitHub password.
2. Enable Two-Factor Authentication.
3. Revoke and recreate personal access and application tokens.

I suppose I have to do that, right? meh...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: Why not talk about heartbleed! :P

Reply #1

came up in a pub quiz I was at last night my team was only one to get it correct :D
Bryan Deakin
Former Project Manager/Customiser/Marketing @ SMF

Reply #2

Quote from: emanuele – I suppose I have to do that, right? meh...
I'd think so.  Before sites closed the hole it was amazing to see what you could get from the server memory and with almost no effort.  I guess the real issue is, no one really knows how long it may have been exploited.  The issue was around for, what 2 years, and if anyone knew about it they could have amassed quite the tasty mountain of info.
Quote from: TrayBake – came up in a pub quiz I was at last night my team was only one to get it correct :D
Awesome  :D

Reply #3

Changed everything!
Now I should do the same with the various google accounts...

emanuele is scared and annoyed already... lol
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

How can we find if a site is affected or not. Any simple way like putting our URL as in Google PR check ?

Reply #5

You can use https://filippo.io/Heartbleed/ and enter a URL to see if its effected.  Most of the large sites fixed it within hours of it being published.   There was a running list of the top 1000+ sites for vulnerability published which put some extra pressure on them to plug the hole.  :P

Reply #6

Ahhh guys, I made some replies over SMF for heartbleed bug and here's the crux of it

This article seems pretty relevant. Moreover there is a tool link in it to check the ssl security.

If anyone interested in reading, a bit more detailed explanation in terms of technicality about heartbleed is mentioned over here.

Here is about what can be done via exploiting the bug.

I'm still not sure why everyone is changing there passwords, as until a site fixes the server, changing password is still a waste of energy.