Skip to main content
Topic: Permissions check posting calendar events (Read 1828 times) previous topic - next topic

Permissions check posting calendar events

When I first started looking for club software one of the main requirements was an event calendar. Only one (now 2) forums really do that as part of the core.
Sadly, the way it works is way below optimal. It got to the point that I had to give it up and instead use a block with a mini monthly calendar next to event posts so people could at least see the date and look at the calendar block. The way posting works through a board and through a calendar is not uniform.

Whether you are interested in this I'm not sure.... I know they want to remove the calendar over at SMF.

These are the problems.

1. If you post an event from the calendar you cannot announce it (an important point for events). Once the board is selected it would be better to check the permissions and display those allowed.
What users have to do is save the post then reopen it before they can see 'Announce Topic'. Of course the average 'John Doe' does not do this.

2. If you post from a board, you can announce it but there is no link to calendar - you have to reopen/modify it again before it displays. Of course the average 'John Doe' does not do this.

So Admin has to keep reminding everyone to do it the 'stupid way' by editing a topic twice (use 2 stones to kill 1 bird). Or Admin has to keep doing it for everyone... a bit like changing diapers/nappies forever.

Correcting it from both sides might be a lot of work. I wonder if its just best to stop posting from the calendar completely and when posting a new topic just show the calendar link and maybe a mouse over display of a month block.

Or when posting from the calendar, It shows the date selection, the calendar title, and displays a board selection to post in, then it opens the board posting template  and the permissions for the board have been checked. This looks the best/easiest way. Then the mods might also work (many don't depending how you post). Post template mod, likes post etc etc do not work when posing from the calendar.

Its a pity as very few forums have a decent calendar. For event groups it is so much more than a silly display for birthdays.

Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 01:29:36 am by andy

Re: Permissions check posting calendar events

Reply #1

Maybe the cleanest way  it just  display the add to calendar link when posting from a board (if permission set for the board). NO POSTING FROM THE CALENDAR. Or posting from the calendar is just a board selection and starts a board post with the details below already visible.
If people click 'Link to Calendar' then it opens up the options there on the posting page (date, calendar title). Event mods would have to adapt to that.

Link to calendar is not text either. 'Add to Calendar' better.

Reply #2

In 1.1, the calendar (as well as some other things) has been better separated from the rest of the application. IMO it's not necessary to remove it, it's isolated as much as possible, the only edge case is the fact bug fixes may have to wait for a full release, but I don't see the real issue here (also because with the current separation, the calendar will affect the script performances only and only if it is enabled).

In general, I remember I was discussing the posting problem with Norv (a long time ago, I don't remember if here or at SMF), the outcome was that it's not so straightforward to fix things, but not impossible.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

As I said, its probably not a high priority for you. It never had a lot of friends on SMF. A couple of years ago when i posted it Arantor replied that it might be possible to use javascript to check the permissions on the calendar post page on selecting a board and update them.

I'm not so bothered about it either way - just thought I would mention it as it was not well thought out.
Andy