Skip to main content
Topic: Year in Credits page (Read 2755 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Year in Credits page

Reply #1

@emanuele
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #2

It doesn't really matter and I'm personally not interested in the silly "let's-update-each-and-every-header-and-copyright-notice-because-it's-a-new-year" that I see at SMF.

From http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ03.pdf
QuoteUse of Copyright Notice
Use of the notice informs the public that a work is protected by copyright, identifies the copyright owner, and shows the year of first publication.
I know most of us are not from the US, but the (c) law is mostly the same anywhere and we all understand somehow English (at least better than how most of you could understand Italian I guess :P).
Considering this is in the form "start-end" I would update it when a new major/minor release is out, I'm not convinced a micro release is worth the effort (i.e. change the translation) and for sure I'm not going to change it just because today it's 2016.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

Just remove it from the translation if it's still there... Throw it into the template! You could even update it with the patches like that.

Reply #4

I guess you missed the part where I say it doesn't matter. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

It's just annoying to have it in all translations and have to update all of them instead of a single number in a template...

Reply #6

I'd almost be inclined to drop the date from the credits area, I don't think we even list the dates in the file headers, its just © ElkArte Forum contributors.

Looking at the credits page, really using a range (like we have now) is wrong anyway.  Its as emanuele stated, "the date of first publication".   You can add on dates for major releases like 1.1 .. so it then it would be © 2012, 2016 ElkArte Forum contributors.   So that way you get an extra 4 years on 1.1 from falling into public domain in like 2066 ?  I'll either be dead then or still fixing docblocks :P

Reply #7

I like that idea, @Spuds. Not sure about the implications in every country's copyright laws, but let's be real. It's highly unlikely any of us (contributors) are going to go fight someone in court in some country that has crazy copyright laws. I doubt any of us are willing to take someone to court in Somalia (for instance; no idea what Somali copyright laws are) over them claiming to have created ElkArte.

Reply #8

Side note: I couldn't care less about it though. It's not worth my time to go write a commit for it lol