Skip to main content
Topic: Old IPB database to latest ElkArte (Read 1831 times) previous topic - next topic

Old IPB database to latest ElkArte

I wondered how achievable or possible this was, and if someone could suggest some kind of guide. This a hypothetical question because if it cannot happen then it's not huge problem.

Say for example I have a clean installation of ElkArte.

I also have a backup mysql database of an IPB 3.0.5 forum. Is there anyway of importing this database, such as the topics, posts, forums, members etc? Not so bothered about permission as I can always tweak everything else.

Possible?

Thanks.

Re: Old IPB database to latest ElkArte

Reply #1

I would think this would be possible with OpenImporter, however I don't think IPB is currently one of the currently supported sources :(

I think @emanuele had done some work with IPB->SMF conversions in the past, maybe he can add that as a source for OI, or maybe its a IPB->SMF->ElkArte kind of thing.

Reply #2

Thanks,

I never thought of going that way, import to another forum (which is Openimporter friendly), then import to Elk. Mmmmmm.

I assume I would need to have the IPB forum up and running for this to work, as presently I have only the forum database backed up from cPanel. It's a few years old too, this should be fun!

Ps. Doh! Never mind yes, I'll an IPB up and running for the script to find the setting etc.

Reply #3

Looking into this.

The IPB > SMF converter looks a little flakey judging by posts on their forum.
I might go with the IPB > MYBB merge, then over to ElkArte and the MYBB might be less problematic.

Perhaps I should have posted this in the Open Importer forum. I never noticed it until now.

Reply #4

No problem. Good luck with conversion :)

Reply #5

There is an IPB 3.4.x importer, but on the development branch of OI.
I wrote it a while ago, before breaking badly the code, it may work, but honestly I'd have to try it myself in order to see what happens and how it can be worked around if needed...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.