Skip to main content
Topic: Backup/Restore (Read 1682 times) previous topic - next topic

Backup/Restore

Something that should be simple is proving frustrating. I have an older version of ElkArte that I've backed up and want to restore into a refresh install of ElkArte on a different server. I have Googled everywhere... searched the forums here... and have found no instructions on how to do this. I would have thought a restore a fundamental feature of a forum. I found the backup and performed it, but how do you use it... particularly when the forum DB tables all have different names and the forum releases are quite different?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Backup/Restore

Reply #1

Hello @mobiltal and sorry for the late answer (holidays and whatnot).

hmm... that last part of the question is the tricky one:
Quotearticularly when the forum DB tables all have different names and the forum releases are quite different?
You can "easily" and safely restore any db to the same version of elk you have created the backup from.
Restore a db of version 1.0 to 1.1 is not going to work.

The most annoying part of restoring a db is likely the change in directory (and maybe URL) that will require repair_settings.php to fix the themes settings (paths and urls). Apart from that, if you install the version of elkarte corresponding to the version of the backup (and don't rely on the version found in the settings table of the database, better if you know which version it actually was), and then replace all the tables with the backup, that should be enough for restoring it.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: Backup/Restore

Reply #2

OK, I just imagined a simple utility to backup/restore content and/or users to some format that would import... kinda like the OpenImporter that can go from another forum to ElkArte, but in this case export from ElkArte first using the OpenImporter format then back into ElkArte. Again, just seemed like a basic feature.