Skip to main content
Topic: Experimenting flex (Read 3959 times) previous topic - next topic

Experimenting flex

Today I'm in an "experiments" mood. :P

What would you think of a theme along the lines of the attached screen? (I used the browser to edit the css and the few html "live", there is nothing yet available (not even the changes I did lol), just a kind of proof of concept. ;))
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: Experimenting flex

Reply #1

Hm... No. Where's the topic title, THE most interesting part of the forum index? ;)  In my opinion the topic title vanishes ???  with this theme design.

Reply #2

Well, it would need some "tweaking", for example the subject could take advantage of some padding (top) and maybe a border (bottom) to better separate it from the rest of the stuff (like in the new attach).

Anything that is not title should be less "important".
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

Maybe it would look much better with the theme variant you use here?

Reply #4

Wow, it looks really cool. Will you provide this css you have there for better theme development?

I think it would be worth of trying.

Reply #5

ehhh... the (original) css is already gone (I closed the tab since it was passing the threshold of complexity that is achievable within a browser).
Actually that last version requires few changes to the markup as well, so I'll try and see what I can do.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Okay, I put together something.
It's a custom.css so it could be used as such putting the file into the css directory of a theme if it is based on the default (light variant).
Actually is a bit fragile because I was too lazy to change the template file, so it's rather hackish, though it should give the general idea of how it works. ;)

And actually, reading what I just wrote, I started wondering how difficult would be to allow create "mixable" themes.
What I mean? Let's say structure and styles are completely separated, it would be possible to pick a theme structure (any theme structure) and mix it with any other color scheme available around. Yeah, an ideal world, but it would actually be rather cool I think. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

Thank you! There are some issues with it when there are for example 3 or less topics to display, but it is a really good step to make ElkArte themes very customisable and unique.

Reply #8

Yep.
I didn't spend much time thinking about how to fix the edge cases, and honestly I don't even know if it is possible at all...

A similar scheme I think could work well for the board index, so that any board is a "block" and multiple blocks can stay side by side (two , three or more on the same line, etc.). I'm not sure it works so well for the topics. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work for the messages. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

The board index is a really good idea.

Reply #10

I know the topic is months old and the "subject" doesn't even match, but who cares, let's say this is my topic about theme experiments. :P

Playing with the display of messages.
I'm not entirely happy with it, though I like it. 8)

ETA: forgot to say that the warnings are able to expand via css.

ETA2: for the moment it's almost all css, just a theme edit because I'm too lazy to change theme.js, but this will change... at some point :P

Reply #11

I don't like it.  :-[  I can't see with a glimpse where one post begins and another ends.

Reply #12

That's something I still have to work on, I'm not even sure how it works without avatar and without signature, etc.
There are so many variants... :-\
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.