Skip to main content
Topic: windowbg/windowbg2 (Read 2870 times) previous topic - next topic

windowbg/windowbg2

I'm a bit lost on that pair.
They are mostly the same, but with some small differences.
Unless I'm dumb (well, I am, but that's another point), they are used more or less at random in the template.

What's the goal?
Keep one of the two?
Drop both?
Keep both and they are already used properly? (If so, what's the logic behind?)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: windowbg/windowbg2

Reply #1

Well, I just used them in a commit.   :)   They are great for alternating colors for backgrounds. With the two ElkArte variants they come in handy as each variant will have or could have its own color needs. If the windowbg/windowbg2 are sitting in the index_ or admin_  css files I am not sure if there would also be a need for them in the index.css file. < shrug >

Reply #2

Quote from: emanuele – they are used more or less at random in the template.
yep, that's right. AFAIK the idea was some kind of zebra striping which could also be done via odd / even in CSS.
I'd personally keep those for 1.0 and remove both in 1.1.
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #3

A quick search using 'windowbg' in the default theme directory shows windowbg an windowbg2 being used 475 times in 60 files.  In Sources it is used 16 times in 7 files.  That is a lot to change just to be rid of something, only to replace it with something else. Waiting to a later release to make the change will only irritate theme makers. May want to consider the change before releasing to ver. 1.

The two also get used for more than striping, though that is a convenient use.

Just my humble noobe opinion.   :)

Reply #4

I remember their reason being for alternate color rows too. I'd prefer to get rid of them. They aren't very descriptive, and really can be done much more easily with CSS3 using even/odd entries like:
Code: [Select]
tr:nth-child(odd) {
    background: #FFF
}

Same reason I don't like catbg or titlebg etc.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #5

I'd imagine that most are just stripping and probably in tables, so a prime candidate for removal and easy seamless replace with CSS.  After that I think they are either wrapped by content or wrap a content div.  Those should be combined in to a single div anyway and then we may need some parent id so stripping could be applied by a themer. 

I'm with TE on this, wait for 1.1 mostly because I want to stop on 1.0 and get back to breaking stuff :D  Plus we should be able to make the changes almost transparent to the theme.