Skip to main content
Topic: As expected I'm out of business for...dunno (Read 16527 times) previous topic - next topic

As expected I'm out of business for...dunno

As said on IRC, I decided to finally (after 2 years) do a system upgrade, now I'm in deep sheep (s/eep/it/).

After two successful upgrades (from opensuse 11.4 to 12.2), I decided to upgrade pidgin (dunno why it was stuck at version 10.3 I think while the most recent was 10.7), so I let it do the upgrade and now I'm locked out from my computer with linux that doesn't like the way my disks are named in fstab...well, not exactly, because I already changed fstab, but it still loads the old names, so I cannot even know if it is a disk naming issue or not...  >:(

So, I'm now trying to recover my system, in the meantime have fun without me too much around! :P

P.S.
If anyone has any idea why the change to fstab is not read I'm open to any suggestion! :'(
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: As expected I'm out of business for...dunno

Reply #1

Darn, not a naming issue! >:(

It seems I'm not alone:
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/install-boot-login/425817-opensuse-11-2-does-not-boot-after-install.html
Just a bit late to the party...

Funny thing is that "many" are having this issue with virtual machines, but that would make sense (changed the disk ID?), but why the heck an upgrade should kill the boot? ???
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

I changed from UUIDs back to the classic sd[a|b][1-6] and at least now it seems to go a bit further (I reach the emergency command line as root), but it still doesn't boot properly... :'(
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

Format and reinstall it ;D

Are you doing it virtualized? If not, install a hypervisor first and then install your OS. Then you can have tons of VMs running with different builds and test them before you destroy your system

Reply #4

I think I'll just re-install. :P

All the documents should be on different partitions and I should have left one or two 100 GB partitions around. O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

emanuele is the winner

No reinstall, just some playing with kernels, nVidia drivers, etc.! YAY! :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

I'm glad you got it sorted :) Welcome back ...
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------