Skip to main content
Topic: Grumbling about bugs - Was: [WIP] ElkArte 1.0 Release Candidate 1 - release notes (Read 19202 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from ElkArte 1.0 Release Candidate...

Re: Grumbling about bugs - Was: [WIP] ElkArte 1.0 Release Candidate 1 - release notes

Reply #45

Click menus are fully keyboard accessible if done properly, so you don't have to require manual targeting via mouse. OTOH, hover menus are useless to anyone who can't use a mouse.

I'm up for usability too. I wouldn't like click menus if I found them bad for usablility, and my reactions and tracking ability are still good enough that I can generally use CSS2 drops without problems (ie: no delays on anything). Personally, I don't find click menus at all bad for usability. I find them to be fast and clean in operation. It's not as if I'm advocating a system I wouldn't use myself.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Re: Grumbling about bugs - Was: [WIP] ElkArte 1.0 Release Candidate 1 - release notes

Reply #46

Quote from: Antechinus – Click menus are fully keyboard accessible if done properly, so you don't have to require manual targeting via mouse. OTOH, hover menus are useless to anyone who can't use a mouse.
???
I can open any menu here with the tab of my keyboard. Am I missing something?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #47

Yes you can, because this menu runs js that allows you to do that. Nao was talking about droppies with no js (not so good for keyboard a11y).

ETA: You can get limited keyboard a11y without js, but you have to mess around with focus a lot and it gets rather tricky.

Reply #48

Come to think of it: if you want to use hover menus, but still provide decent a11y for people with less than perfect reactions and tracking ability, what you should be doing is using a long mouseout delay combined with the click-anywhere-to-close functionality that most click menus offer. This is a bit of an oversight in Superfish, and might be worth mentioning as an issue.

If Superfish had the same click-anywhere-to-close as is offered by Superclick, you could use a long mouseout delay while still having the ability to clear the decks instantly if things started getting all messed up.

Reply #49

Quote from: emanuele – ???
I can open any menu here with the tab of my keyboard. Am I missing something?
Not working here (or at Wedge). I'm using Opera 21.
Probably fixable with a tabindex... Can't really bother™ for now though.

(Hey ema, I'm 10 minutes away from making it official that I've voluntarily stopped my github 'longest streak' at 100 days, by not committing my importer fixes to the repo... It feels liberating not having to watch that silly stat anymore... Plus you get to win by 12 days 8))

Reply #50

Quote from: Antechinus – Yes you can, because this menu runs js that allows you to do that. Nao was talking about droppies with no js (not so good for keyboard a11y).

ETA: You can get limited keyboard a11y without js, but you have to mess around with focus a lot and it gets rather tricky.

I can get it to work for everything but the Profile menu, tabbing blows right by it.

Reply #51

Hey yeah. Hadn't tried that before. Thatza bug. No RC yet, kids. :)

Reply #52

Work here.
What (crappy) browser?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #53

Crappy Firefox on crappy Windows 7 64 bit here.

Reply #54

Oh buggery. I forgot that for click menus you have to hit "Enter" when focus is on the top level linky. It works if you do that. :P

However, there's another genuine bug! Yay! :D

If you keyboard access a droppy with the click menus, the droppy will stay open all the time, even when focus has shifted to another top level link or another droppy.

This is bad behaviour. Bad droppies. Naughty droppies. Need a good spanking.

They should auto close when you shift focus to something else. :P

ETA: Just tested with hover option and keyboard access. No problems with Firefox. Works perfectly.

Reply #55

You said click is best, and now is broken? :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #56

Click is best. :D However, it appears Superclick has a bug in it. Not my fault. I didn't code Superclick. :P

Reply #57

Quote from: emanuele – ...and the third is fixed (the German translation with fixes for the English text), but still open for reference.

Fixed? How? I run with a buggy ElkArte which has this problem and yes, if I could fix this would be great! I would like to use german language files, but can't right now.

Reply #58

Ooop, sorry a bit confusing: I meant that the German translation forumsearch0r is doing has fixes for the English language... heck what I wrote in my first post doesn't make sense... LOL

If you want a fairly up to date German translation, I think you can grab the package from here:
https://github.com/dertuxmalwieder/Elkarte
copy the German directory to your Elk dir and it should work.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #59

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin –
Quote from: Antechinus – Yes you can, because this menu runs js that allows you to do that. Nao was talking about droppies with no js (not so good for keyboard a11y).

I can get it to work for everything but the Profile menu, tabbing blows right by it.

Oh, there we go. Somehow the tab index for Profile comes after Community, not after New Replies like you'd expect.

Firefox 28 on Ubuntu 13.10 right now. Ant can confirm on FF Winx64 if he likes.