Skip to main content
Topic: Grumbling about bugs - Was: [WIP] ElkArte 1.0 Release Candidate 1 - release notes (Read 18721 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from ElkArte 1.0 Release Candidate...

Re: Grumbling about bugs - Was: [WIP] ElkArte 1.0 Release Candidate 1 - release notes

Reply #60

Quote from: emanuele – Ooop, sorry a bit confusing: I meant that the German translation forumsearch0r is doing has fixes for the English language... heck what I wrote in my first post doesn't make sense... LOL

If you want a fairly up to date German translation, I think you can grab the package from here:
https://github.com/dertuxmalwieder/Elkarte
copy the German directory to your Elk dir and it should work.

Thanks. I have the german files, but my ElkArte installation don't want to use them. I have the bug TE posted here: https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/issues/1527  :-[

Re: Grumbling about bugs - Was: [WIP] ElkArte 1.0 Release Candidate 1 - release notes

Reply #61

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin – Oh, there we go. Somehow the tab index for Profile comes after Community, not after New Replies like you'd expect.

Firefox 28 on Ubuntu 13.10 right now. Wombat can confirm on FF Winx64 if he likes.
That's because that's the order they're in in the menu.  The profile is only off to the right because the CSS for it (and the up shrink button) is float:right while the others are left.

This is a grumbling thread right?  Ok.  The up shrink button annoys me because it disappears on mobile.  I know, done to save space.  But given it's not really an everyday button anyway (I mean you leave the header until you figure out you can hide it right?) I think it really should be a Look and Feel option.  Then it's available to mobile users same as desktop and you don't have to worry about it ever wasting space.

Of all the things to put as a top level button that one really isn't it.

Reply #62

https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/issues/1230 <= closed because I had no idea what to do (and still don't have any)
And it annoys me because is misleading.
Ant, you placed it there, any idea where to move it? :P

BTW, yes, this is grumbling, but it's usually better to track each bug to a different topic. ;) (In fact this is grumbling because several people started to post bugs and is now difficult to remember what is a bug, what is a personal preference, what is fixed and what is still valid.... at least I have difficulties. :()
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #63

Well I put it here not in its own thread as I don't view it as a critical bug or anything.  Just overkill.  Why not just make it a sub-button to the profile button.  You already have a look and feel in there.  Just make a "show header"/"hide header" button where the name change appropriately like the arrow direction.

Reply #64

Quote from: Jorin –
Quote from: emanuele – Ooop, sorry a bit confusing: I meant that the German translation forumsearch0r is doing has fixes for the English language... heck what I wrote in my first post doesn't make sense... LOL

If you want a fairly up to date German translation, I think you can grab the package from here:
https://github.com/dertuxmalwieder/Elkarte
copy the German directory to your Elk dir and it should work.

Thanks. I have the german files, but my ElkArte installation don't want to use them. I have the bug TE posted here: https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/issues/1527  :-[
I can't reproduce it, at least, the point is that if you ever saved your account settings the language has been updated to the default one "at the time", so once you have set the new forum default, you have to go to the profile and set it there again to German (and the same all your users).
That's the same behaviour as SMF from my tests.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #65

Quote from: scripple – Well I put it here not in its own thread as I don't view it as a critical bug or anything.  Just overkill.  Why not just make it a sub-button to the profile button.  You already have a look and feel in there.  Just make a "show header"/"hide header" button where the name change appropriately like the arrow direction.
Indeed, indeed. :)
Dunno about the sub-menu though.
There is always the plan B that would be remove the upshrink entirely. O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #66

Personally I'd rather not see the upshrink removed entirely.

Reply #67

I'm in two minds about it. It often is missing from a lot of custom themes anyway. It's of most use when an admin sets a site up with an idiotically large header and banner (Look at the Size of My Genitals Syndrome) but these are also the admins that are most likely to want to disable header collapse. Hey ho. :D
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #68

What the Ant said is what I was thinking as well...

Also the current set up is not exactly "wanted" either: originally the upshrink was meant to collapse just the name and the logo, I added the newsfader because I was playing with the theme (see "that theme is white" topic), but at a certain point it became the "standard" (I'm not even sure how and when lol).

Don't get me wrong, I like the upshrink and I keep the header always collapsed, but... dunno, I'm starting wondering if it is really useful or not.
Maybe in 2.0 the new theme will not have an upshrink. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #69

I kind of like scripple's idea of having it in Look and Layout. If it's only useful to logged-in members anyway, then keep it as a profile option, not as a part of the theme.

Reply #70

Well it used to be available to guests too, via a cookie.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P