Skip to main content
Topic: Calendar for different languages (countries) ? (Read 2548 times) previous topic - next topic

Calendar for different languages (countries) ?

I miss the possibility to add German holidays in the calendar which are useless for other countries:

Easter, Pentecoast and Christmas have two holidays, the Reunion day (Oct. 3rd) has probably the same meaning for US citizens like the independence day for me: nice to know :)

Making an addon with a additional selector in the database doesn't seem very difficult. Only the overview where it has to be used...
no signature yet

Re: Calendar for different languages (countries) ?

Reply #1

Do you want a second calendar visible to only other countries? Holidays can be managed in the ACP already, if that helps. The stock calendar ships with American holidays and some outside the US already.

Reply #2

I want to have my forum bilingual English and German selectable for users. As I wrote in my OP there are a lot of American holidays in the delivered version which are less interesting for German members as well as vice versa, or do you know many Americans who are interested in the German reunion day - a "gesetzlicher Feiertag" in Germany. So I'd like a language mark (from user selected language) in the holiday db-table. Might even be an addon (or fixed feature in ElkArte) to calculate the easter day (from which most religious holidays are calculated)[1] to know the moveable holidays - well dreams are allowed, aren't they?
the Gaußsche Computus like explained in wikipedia
no signature yet

Reply #3

Yeah, I think at the moment holidays are "forum wide", and have no clear distinction for the country.
Somehow bind it to the language could be a solution.
Or it may be something independent and having the option to select which country holidays to show from the admin panel.
I would rule out the option to hide/show holidays based on language (I for example tend to use English as interface for myself, but I'm neither American, nor UK based).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Quote from: emanuele – Yeah, I think at the moment holidays are "forum wide", and have no clear distinction for the country.
Somehow bind it to the language could be a solution.

They are forum wide without selection :(

Quote from: emanuele –
Or it may be something independent and having the option to select which country holidays to show from the admin panel.

mgrde is dreaming: better yet an additional selection in a user's profile (similar to the time format selection)

Quote from: emanuele – I would rule out the option to hide/show holidays based on language (I for example tend to use English as interface for myself, but I'm neither American, nor UK based).

Agreed  :D
no signature yet