Skip to main content
Topic: Member list on mobile has odd artifacts every other row (Read 6111 times) previous topic - next topic

Member list on mobile has odd artifacts every other row

Attached is a screen shot from my phone showing what I mean.

Re: Member list on mobile has odd artifacts every other row

Reply #1

yep, that's one of the items on my todo list .. the memberlist isn't mobile compatible as of now.. I'll check that soon.
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #2

Oops, I scanned for topic titles that matched but not todo lists.  Sorry.

Reply #3

Quote from: scripple – Oops, I scanned for topic titles that matched but not todo lists.  Sorry.
it's in my mind, not noted here  ;)
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #4

emanuele files a feature request for a search function in @TE's mind :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

With appropriate word censoring :P

Reply #6

As long as you're going to have a look at the member list, here's another one.  Only tested this in desktop view but when I click on the community drop down and select members it always comes up with some letter in the first row then starts the member list.  (even with one member.) 

See attachment.  (And the letter is different on my more populated test forum, debug output?)

Reply #7

:D It's supposed to do that. It splits the member list according to the starting letter of the username. Your example has one member called scripple, so the header is an "S".

TBH I think the formatting could be a bit better, since the lower case letter gets a bit lost in the middle of the page. It could do with a bit more oomph, and probably left aligned would help to make it look more like a heading (which is what it is).
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #8

Well, I guess I should feel stupid now.  :P  But I'd say you're right it needs some different formatting as it looked nothing like a header to me.

Reply #9

I hadn't looked at it since that change was implemented (never used to have it). I can see what they mean it to be doing, but agree that in its present form it does look more like a bug than a feature.

Reply #10

Hey found another bug (a real one). The zebra striping of the member list is broken. It should start at the beginning of the list, but it doesn't. It only comes in near the end of the page (specifically, in the "C" group).

Reply #11

The striping on my more populate test site actually starts right after the A, but then stops after b starts and stays off the rest of the page.  Looking at a few more pages the pattern I see is if the letter bar is on white that section is striped.  If the letter is on gray (the slightly darker color) that section is all gray.

Reply #12

It seems to be all over the place. Just check a few pages of the list here.

ETA: Issue - https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/issues/1459
Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 02:17:31 am by Antechinus

Reply #13

I'm currently migrating the memberlist from tables to list elements, basic draft is:
Code: [Select]
<ul class="mlist">
    <li class="basic_row"><span>Rowdata1</span><span>RowData2</span>... </li>
    <li class="alternate_row"><span>Rowdata1</span><span>RowData2</span>... </li>
</ul>
It's mainly needed for proper styling, especially on mobile devices..
@Antechinus Objections?
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #14

I'd be more inclined to use divs than spans (same as board index and message index) but sure, nothing wrong with using a list for the main part.

It's going to get quite complex with the number of "cells" you'll need for a memberlist though, particularly if people start adding custom fields. You can't know in advance how much width each "cell" will need. For this sort of thing, a table really is the best solution. It's exactly what they were meant for, but if you need to use lists......

I still think the headers that split the list into letter categories need something extra. They aren't really just another row. They're dividers between section of content. You could drop an h3 into the li for those, and style that.
Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 06:23:28 am by Antechinus