Skip to main content
Topic: Package Manager - Current/Older version icons not displayed (Read 2938 times) previous topic - next topic

Package Manager - Current/Older version icons not displayed

Package Manager/Browse Packages/Add-on packages>  bottom right of table shows the 'current version' and 'older version' .png icons but the icons are not displayed next to the packages.  The Installed Packages table does not show any icon for current or older.

I would have thought there be three icons to show the state of the packages; current/installed, older, and uninstalled icon as well?

Re: Package Manager - Current/Older version icons not displayed

Reply #1

@emanuele
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #2

I cannot properly test it right now because pacman is behaving like a dumb on my setup... I have to understand if something is badly broken or it's just a matter of mixing broken packages, directory, symlinks all in one place.

ETA: anyway, just to clarify, the icons should show up only if the same package is uploaded more than once and the two versions are different. Pacman is not checking "remotely" if the package is outdated. At least not for now.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

Hmmmm .... well in that case maybe the bug is between my ears.  :)   I have Miserable User installed and did a test upload of the package again. Must be the same versions as I were presented with an error stating the file already existed on the server and should be deleted...etc.

Probably not a bug at all and more my not being clear on the intent of the icons. Probably confusing it with an SMF mod for icons for installed/uninstalled packages.

Sorry for the bother.

Reply #4

QuoteETA: anyway, just to clarify, the icons should show up only if the same package is uploaded more than once and the two versions are different. Pacman is not checking "remotely" if the package is outdated. At least not for now.
Thats my understanding of those esoteric icons as well ...

For remote checking, part of that was implemented in the "package server" code.  If you go to package servers (in your admin panel) and select Browse next to the ElkArte Third-party Add-ons Site .... Then you should see red dots next to packages that you have installed that are older than whats currently available on the Add-on site.  That code is not perfect as it relies on the data in the package descriptions on the Addon site being correct and updated when the package is updated (meaning its up to the package maintainer to do it right or do it at all)

Reply #5

Quote from: Spuds –
QuoteETA: anyway, just to clarify, the icons should show up only if the same package is uploaded more than once and the two versions are different. Pacman is not checking "remotely" if the package is outdated. At least not for now.
Thats my understanding of those esoteric icons as well ...

For remote checking, part of that was implemented in the "package server" code.  If you go to package servers (in your admin panel) and select Browse next to the ElkArte Third-party Add-ons Site .... Then you should see red dots next to packages that you have installed that are older than whats currently available on the Add-on site.  That code is not perfect as it relies on the data in the package descriptions on the Addon site being correct and updated when the package is updated (meaning its up to the package maintainer to do it right or do it at all)

Ahhhh .... I see now. The only red dots that showed up were for the Avatars from BKE and they referenced a GitHub download; though the versions were the same on GH and my site.

Which leads me to this .... The icons are always shown on the first tab, Browse Packages; but are used only on the third-party add-on drop down. Should these icons even be shown on the first tab then as they reference no information there?

Incidentally, your Miserable User add-on did show up but it had no green or red icon next to it.

Reply #6

Finally I'm back to this !

First an important note, those icons and the download link will "miss" from time to time, nature of the beast I'm afraid.  Its dependent on the data it gets from the addon site, which is dependent on the data from the authors, which is dependent on how much sleep or alcohol they consumed when they submitted the PR.

So with the intro out of the way .... I do see an improvement opportunity (sounds better than bug) on matching versions, so I'll get that fixed.  There are also some inconsistency / gaps in the UI / Icons which we should clean up.  So my proposal is the following:

Addon Site Version [1]Installed VersionNot Installed but Downloaded VersionNot Downloaded
CurrentCheck mark/ No Button[2]Green Dot / Disabled ButtonDownload Button
OldCheck mark / No Button[3]Green Dot / Disabled Button Download Button
NewGreen + / DL Button[4]Red Dot / Download ButtonDownload Button
Other thoughts or ideas on what should be presented.  Right now not all of those indicators exist but the basic information to do so does.  Maybe a bouncing parrot if there is an update available :P

Also one last question, currently the listing is sorted by last updated vs name ... what do folks prefer ?

As compared to YOUR version
or Current Version Installed
As above since what you have is newer than whats on the addon site
or Update Available Button
Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 12:30:42 pm by Spuds

Reply #7

Bouncing parrot?!?!? Did someone say bouncing parrot? :D
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #8

Quote from: Spuds – Maybe a bouncing parrot if there is an update available :P
xD

Quote from: Spuds – Also one last question, currently the listing is sorted by last updated vs name ... what do folks prefer ?
I tend to prefer name. O:-)
At least, if I got what we are talking about. xD
Also, it may be worth at some point, consider to "merge" the two pages: list of packages and list of installed packages. With just a tiny bit of js-trickery it would be rather easy to hide all the not installed packages and keep only the installed ones. Less code to take care of, the better! :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

Last question first ..... I prefer the sort by name idea. I almost always do a lookup by the name.

I like the idea of combining the Browse Packages and Installed Packages.  I sort of did not really understand the need for Browse as there already is a Download Packages function/tab.

Maybe something like...

Package Name  |  Installed Version  |  Newest Version  |  Download |      Install      | Uninstall |

Tater-Tots                      1.0                          2.0                  <blue>          <green>        < red >   
                                                                                            <button>      <button>      <button>

I like the idea of a fair amount, but balanced space between each of the buttons and for each button to have a colour. The colour buttons would be a visual cue to the hapless admin to not accidentally uninstall a package.  I think it adds a nice touchy feely look to the display. I do not know that there is a need to have the word Addon(s) in the list at all.

At present there is a little bit of 'wording nuance' in the heading. In this case it is Addon Packages then with a list titled Add-on Name. Where this all gets skewed is the next display is Avatar Packages with a list titled Add-on Name. Same for Smiley Packages. So, to me the first heading should not say Addon Packages but perhaps Mod Packages and a list title of Mod Name, the next heading would be Avatar Packages and a list title of Avatar Name, etc.

I hope that made sense.  I always look at the visual stuff from the mind of the user and look for inconsistencies in visual display, wording and meaning. So, not being critical about a previous decision but I think the wording of the packages and their heading should be more reflective of the package types themselves.

Thanks!
Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 07:49:41 pm by Lou

Reply #10

The installed tab is completely useless and needs to be dropped, not combined with anything IMO

The browse tab is broken and needs to be fixed, mainly those indicators don't really work

The package server area is semi broken, only some of which can be addressed since we do not really control that data.  I've made some fixes that I'll submit for 1.0.7.  Not sure what I'll do with the indicators, mostly likely will be simple FA icons on that page.

The names, description, revision levels, etc etc are defined in the package files, they are simply "reported" by the software.  Ditto for the package server listing.

Reply #11

Quote from: derived – listed packages do need to have a clear description....some don't.
also, package name, and listed name, aren't necessarily the same
This is not about a 'description' in the package it self. It is about the use of accurate words from one heading to the next. Frankly, as far as package names, descriptors, and the such...I strongly believe there should be a mandatory standard required of packages so users have a thorough understanding of the package and the software handles and displays all packages the same.

Reply #12

This is the current state, of the package server page.

I improved some of the detection parameters so it does a better job of determining whats installed vs downloaded, and whats old vs current. 

If it detects you have the current version installed or downloaded, it does not present a download button. 

If you have it installed or downloaded and a newer version is found, you are informed with text and the download button.[1]

If you don't have a copy, and it has a link for the file, you get the download button.

Packages are name sorted, and added some basic column alignment
  It still says download vs update since it can't update from there ATM.  Maybe in 1.1, if it was 100% hook based we could have an Update button where the old package is uninstalled, the new downloaded and installed.  I have some concerns about that since we can be dealing with 3rd party sites from that interface.
Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 03:59:45 pm by Spuds