Skip to main content
Topic: Elky Logo (Read 32092 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Elky Logo

Reply #30

I don't think Xarcell's image looks like an Elk. It looks more like a dear. Especially with the rounded type horn. I personally am more in favor of the animated one too. I don't think it's completely necessary to use an Elk though either. Something that will signify us down the road. I don't think we have to be all business about it when choosing either.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #31

Quote from: Antechinus – Yeah I know, but it's fun. AFAIK it's not being used by any particular project, and it's an open source image, and nobody else has a green one.

Anyway, the main point was that there's no need to get hung up over one person's definition of what an elk is.

It's used by a popular blog.

Doesn't matter much to me. I may try to draw a cartoon(comical) ELK in illustrator...

Reply #32

QuoteI may try to draw a cartoon(comical) ELK in illustrator...
That would be cool. :)

Bet theirs isn't green.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #33

Quote from: Bloc – I got "baskian" language when auto-detecting the "elkarte" word. Which means "associations" in english..lol, now I am really confused.

I guess its something with Spain then(..).

EDIT: and btw, when I write "elk" in it, it translates to norwegian "elg" - which is the moose. :D
Ok, I got curious about this. I was wondering if the "elk" part of the word had any specific meaning on its own in Basque. So far, I've managed to find a bit on Basque etymology. I haven't found "elk" as a standalone prefix or word, but there is some related stuff which gives clues.

Quote from: R.L.Trask's "Etymological Dictionary of Basque"This voicing seems to have persisted somewhat later in
L LN than elsewhere: compare common elkar ~ alkar ‘each other’ with L LN elgar...
L LN in this context stands for Late Low Navarran. The term "each other" seems to be related to the modern elkarte ("community"), funnily enough.

There's also this, from the same source:
Quoteelkarrekin (**) adv. ‘together’. ****. + -ekin Com. CS (see ****{-kide}).
I can see elkarrekin ("together") being obviously related to elkarte ("community").

So there ya go. Nothing to do with elks or mooses, unless you happen to be discussing a community of elks or mooses, in which case it may be relevant. :)

PS: I have also promised Norv that I wont start using Basque class names and id's in the markup. ;)

Reply #34

The image for the cartoon moose is public domain. Have at it all you want.

lol @ lost in translation!

We don't "know" what an Elk is, that's up to your vision of an Elk to show us. Brad's version is a concrete groovy American Elk, Xar's is so far a more abstract and elegant American Elk (or red deer?), and Ant's a big fat moose.

Here's what I propose: lets take the logo's that stay, and submit them to a community vote.
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #35

I can see where the confusion stems.

European languages (sans english) such as German and French, only have one word that refers to our antlered friend, which is "Elche" or "Elch", translating to either "Deer", "Elk", or "Moose". The reasoning is probably because in other countries, those animals are less in volume and are rarely even seen, and end up being all referred to as one word.

To be honest, Moose are by far the most superior in the family.

Reply #36

Quote from: TestMonkey – Here's what I propose: lets take the logo's that stay, and submit them to a community vote.

I need some time to draw another draft.

Reply #37

Here is a tease of what I did in illustrator, not sure if I'm gonna stick with it though. Just wondered what your thoughts are before I spend anymore time on it. I know the left antler and jaw need some re-work...

I personally don't think it would make a good logo..

Reply #38

:D It's cool, but I agree it's a bit much for a logo. Would be great on a t shirt for fun, but too complex for a logo that has to work at small sizes, and a bit too manic for general use. He looks like a real party animal.

Reply #39

I didn't want to bother coloring it in if no one liked it.

Reply #40

I like it, Xarcell .. Well done  :)
 It's great for merchandising products (shirts, cups, underpants  :D )
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #41

Quote from: Dr. Doom – I can see where the confusion stems.

European languages (sans english) such as German and French, only have one word that refers to our antlered friend, which is "Elche" or "Elch", translating to either "Deer", "Elk", or "Moose". The reasoning is probably because in other countries, those animals are less in volume and are rarely even seen, and end up being all referred to as one word.

Well, not quite. :) In Norway for example we have the words for deer, elk and moose - as in "hjort", "kronhjort" and "elg". The "elk" is a deer with larger horns as it is, thats what "kron - hjort" means. And - all other nordic languages have the names for each of the 3 too.

Truth told, while i know all the names, I had to look it up. :) Its was when i used translations things got confusing. :P

So this is it:

Reply #42

:D
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #43

Nice one. :)

Reply #44

Very cool. :D No reason why we couldn't have two logos either. One official, small scale one, and a t-shirt and underpants one for fun.

Also like Bloc's pic. Better than a moose. I say we make it the offical beast. :D