Skip to main content
Topic: Two things about the default theme here... (Read 6439 times) previous topic - next topic

Two things about the default theme here...

1. The "Online/Offline" indicator in the profile pop-up is not quite intuitive, it also looks a bit lost there.
2. The "drop-down" icon doesn't look as if it meant "drop-down selection", more like "up and down".
-

Re: Two things about the default theme here...

Reply #1

I don't even know why there's an online/offline indicator in the "profile pop-up", since there's already one in the PM button under the avatar. Having a second one that you hardly ever see seems like pointless duplication to me. I think it's just there because SMF had one there.

Agree about the indicator image for the selects. It has always looked a bit weird to me. I'd prefer the standard browser indicator. It looks clean and people are used to it.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #2

I'll make the PR to remove those selects and put them back the way they were ... Someone should then consider making them behave and align in other than windows environments.

Reply #3

Well you could keep the same basic code, and just switch the image to something that looks more like a standard select indicator. That way they wont look so odd, and it'll save time fixing stuff.

I'd prefer a plain CSS solution, but personally have no way of testing non-Windows stuffz.

Reply #4

Quote from: Spuds – Someone should then consider making them behave and align in other than windows environments.

They don't even align in Windows environments.
-

Reply #5

They used to. :D

Reply #6

Whatever

Reply #7

I see them perfectly aligned at the moment...
Instead in the past they were always of different sizes from the other inputs.

Just an example.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

Reverted and merged

Reply #9

Okay, seriously: once upon a time this project was meant for people to contribute, not to stay on the high horse and tell others what is best (this was SMF).

Report bugs is nice, but if the only contribution is "this is wrong", TBH it's not a contribution and is not welcome, at least to me. If something is wrong, you know how to fix it, and nobody else is going to fix it: FFS commit the gently caress fix. If you don't want to commit it, put it *somewhere*. If you don't want to put it anywhere, keep it for yourself, along with any other complain.

I had the same reaction two days ago and I understand Spuds very well. I know I'm not perfect, but I try my best and if is not enough I know someone else will weight in and help me (usually Spuds or TE).
I also know that be on the front line means take the crap, but after a while, all that crap starts becoming heavy.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

^^ What he said.

Now I put old style back on the site and Git does not lie, its the original sauce we were left with.

Attached are a couple of the the issues as can be seen on the main page.  Some of that is minor tweaks compared to the alignment issues in the admin center where they are used in headers or next to other selects or in some of the moderation screens.  I'm not sure what the fix is, but I've taken enough feedback on what its not  ;)

Reply #11

Hey I've been on the front line often enough to know how much of a PITA it can be. You are always going to get reports from people who can't or wont fix the bug in question. Telling them to not report such bugs makes no sense. It'd make more sense to just file them under "Known issues" if you don't have time to fix them yourself (which would be totally fair enough).

Anyway, re pix: I wouldn't bother with IE8. Waste of time, since XP is defunct now anyway and Vista will run IE9. IMO, the only reason for supporting IE8 was XP. Minor eye candy stuff for IE8 can be ignored now (unless you really want to torture yourself).

I'll have a new monitor sometime next week, so will make an attempt to fix some stuff for commonly available browsers and W7. Other OS stuff will have to be fixed by someone else.

Reply #12

Yeah, not sure I'll hold my breath there, I'm sure you understand  O:-)  

Its one thing to report a bug and another just to poptart about stuff just because its not how you would do it or you don't like an icon.  Don't like it, offer some alternatives, but just acting like the great silver backed ape is not going to cut it.

Note its broken in FF and Chrome depending on which OS you use so FF in windows may look fine, but Nix and OSx look rubbish, Chrome in OSx is different than chrome in windows as well.  And then under *nix it varied by which distro you used because the font stacks available are different.   Those were just the obvious issues that I showed, there are many more.

At one time I looked at many of the combinations  (and not just on the silly main page but the various places selects were used) and did my best.  Now someone else can do the due diligence and look at all the major combinations in all the places they are used.

Disagree on the IE8 thing,  its one thing to not get CSS3 candy but basic misalignment of boxes and buttons is amateurish.

Reply #13

Quote from: emanuele – Okay, seriously: once upon a time this project was meant for people to contribute, not to stay on the high horse and tell others what is best (this was SMF).

Report bugs is nice, but if the only contribution is "this is wrong", TBH it's not a contribution and is not welcome, at least to me. If something is wrong, you know how to fix it, and nobody else is going to fix it: FFS commit the gently caress fix. If you don't want to commit it, put it *somewhere*. If you don't want to put it anywhere, keep it for yourself, along with any other complain.

I had the same reaction two days ago and I understand Spuds very well. I know I'm not perfect, but I try my best and if is not enough I know someone else will weight in and help me (usually Spuds or TE).
I also know that be on the front line means take the crap, but after a while, all that crap starts becoming heavy.

Honestly, was this addressed to the OP or to someone else? It seems a little much to ask Mr. Joe Random User to submit a pull request for something he doesn't even know how to code. If it was to someone else who knows what they're doing, ignore me.

Reply #14

Quote from: Spuds – Disagree on the IE8 thing,  its one thing to not get CSS3 candy but basic misalignment of boxes and buttons is amateurish.
OK, but this reminds me of the IE6/IE7 and SMF 2.0.x thing. When it was conceived, IE6 and IE7 were relevant, so they said it would support IE6 and IE7. By the time it was stable, IE6 and IE7 weren't relevant any more. Despite this, a lot of time and energy and enthusiasm was chewed up trying to support IE6 and IE7, because way back in the day they had said it would support IE6 and IE7. I know this because I was the bunny that got lumped with a lot of it, particularly towards the end ("Oh look, he's good at CSS. He can fix all the stuff we can't be bothered fixing.") and by the time I'd done it nobody gave a rat's.

It ended up being a waste of time, that could have been spent on more interesting and more relevant things. Not only did it eat up a lot of time, it ate up a lot of enthusiasm because it was such stupid and dismal work. It's not an exagerration to say that this was largely responsible for putting me off doing it all again for another dev cycle.*

tl:dr; As soon as you can possibly stop working on an obsolete browser, do yourself a favour and stop working on it. Better for your sanity. Better for the project. My 2c.

*Oh, that and people poptarting around about stuff they didn't like. All the frigging time. :P

Oh, and acting like the bloody Knights Who Say Nyi from Monty Python. They want a shrubbery and they want it now. Doesn't matter if they need it or not, or if shoving it in will bugger everything else. They want a shrubbery. :P

Humans. Shoot the lot of them. :P
Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 04:22:50 am by Antechinus