Skip to main content
Topic: Lets lets add a home page! (Read 20848 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Lets lets add a home page!

Reply #45

Probably a good test for using SSI.php

Code: [Select]
<?php
$ssi_layers = array('html', 'body');
$context['page_title'] = 'ElkArte Home';
require_once('forum/SSI.php');
?>
This is our brand new homepage :D
<?php ssi_shutdown(); ?>
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #46

Need content ideas. Through this together. To green? Loving the Font Awesome!  8)

Should scale for smaller devices a bit too.  The only real php code in there is a file_get_contents to grab a json response from github api to show some recent closed commits.

Other than that, I'm all ears.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #47

Looks darn nice to me 8), thanks for putting this together.   I'll need to play around with font awesome !

I don't know if I'd add to much more content TBH, I like that landing page as its clean an to the point.   

My only thoughts are to add some line about it being Open Source, Free, Community Building Software or ElkArte is a community-developed, free and open source project for building online discussion groups, or something along those lines.
Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 02:19:01 pm by Spuds

Reply #48

@TE @emanuele any thoughts on this (don't worry its almost impossible to hurt IchBin's feelings :P )?  So do you Like it, Hate it, don't have a front page and leave it as it is, other?

Reply #49

Yes, I'd put a description and the download button at the "top", something like the attachment maybe.
But the general look is very :+1:!!
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #50

If I get a moment this week, I'll try to do a couple of layout options to see if we like something best.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #51

I do like the design, and I agree with eman, we need more text.. It's currently a good info for developers, however the "normal" user needs to be the focus.
Some recommendations:

1) What is ElkArte?
ElkArte is a powerful forum software, which is based on the well known Simple Machines Forum .. Blablabla.. Many of our contributors are former SMF team members with several years of experience in developing forum software...
2) ElkArte features:
We do have supercool features such as Post by Email, mentioning users, notifications, likes and all that cool stuff you may already know from the common social networking platforms.. Blablabla.. Wanna test ElkArte yourself? register an account on elkarte.net community forum.
3)  Why ElkArte?
ElkArte is a comepletely free software, licensed as open source under BSD-3clause Blablabla..
4) Infos for developers / contibutors
Want to get involved in developing ElkArte?  We are an open source project and community that encourages others to help! Join us at our space on GitHub. we use common standards such as jquery, unit-testing and travis build service to reduce the amount of bugs.. our software is OOP and follows strict MVC standards (with link to our docs @ github wiki)...

Not too much infos, just a short "spot" for those sections to to arouse the user's interest.
Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 01:57:27 am by TE
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #52

Not sure about the mass of green with white text. Thinking it would maybe be easier for people to deal with if the other way around. Maybe try both and get feedback?
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #53

Updated with stolen text from TE. Changed font to dark color except title. And moved download button to the top right.

I like this layout better.
http://www.ichbin.us/elkarteHome/index.php

Reply #54

Looking good :D 

If folks are happy with it I'll put it on the site.

Reply #55

Nice! :D

It almost fits into a 1024x600 so it's very good!

The black on green is bit "difficult" for my eyes, though I think it's okay. ;D

ETA: forgot to add, I think the text of the "why" fits better the "what", and the text of the "why" should be more like "We wanted to create a wonderful and modern forum (and not only) script. Want to be part of it? Come and share the fun!" or something.
Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:37:56 am by emanuele
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #56

@IchBin Any updates? If your time is short: could you eventually attach the current version? I'd personally like to get the landing page online ASAP.
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #57

Feel free to work on it. Wasn't aware anyone wanted any real changes, so I haven't touched it for a while. There's one function in the index file that pulls from the github api that will likely need to be cached. Api only allows so many connections before hitting their rate limit.

Files attached.

Reply #58

thank you..
I've modified it a bit and this is the current result, it's based on SSI.php. Hope you like it..

The php function has been replaced with a javascript version. Should be better for the api rate limit, it's now the viewers IP instead of the server ip which will be blocked.

Reply #59

That page keeps getting better and better  :)