Skip to main content
Topic: XML Hangovers (Read 11735 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: XML Hangovers

Reply #16

No, not really... "500 million pageviews per month adds up to 46 terabytes per month" if 46 TB is a lot to Yahoo! today, they have problems.

Reply #17

I did a test yesterday enabling $settings['minify_html'] (a Wedge special) on my forum, and for a 11KB (gzipped size) page, I'm saving over 200 bytes. It's not something to be ignored, and this is free -- the only thing it does is remove tabs that start any line! But I like indentation, so I guess I'll have to live with the 200 extra bytes... Lol.

Reply #18

That's a savings of 1.8%. The 304 response to check if your avatar is old was 509 bytes and its full size is 24.4KB, according to Chrome DevTools. 200 bytes means nothing.

Reply #19

It's with this kind of thinking that the web will end up with an average web page size of over 1MB...

Oh wait, scratch that, it's already done::)

Reply #20

Did you even look at that chart? Images are over 400KB whereas the HTML is next to nothing. The "other" field, which I'm guessing is streaming media (video), accounts for the biggest percentage change. Read the "Despite all this growth, is the internet getting faster?" title. Still, if the internet connection speed is increasing, does that even matter? http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/07/23/akamai-average-internet-speed-up-17-year-over-year-to-finally-pass-3-mbps-while-mobile-data-traffic-doubled

You're trying optimize text on a page when people are streaming videos from the same page. I used to be the biggest micro-optimization idiot around. I learned that the most important thing is the speed of development. If you don't develop, you won't have users. You can't develop without making it nice for developers. Worrying about minutia (like coding guidelines) is not what developers want to worry about. If a developer wants to spend his or her time going through the code to make it look better or perform better, good for them, but any pressure to make other developers to do the same will turn them off.

Reply #21

I'm not even gonna dignify that with an answer... :P

QuoteImages are over 400KB whereas the HTML is next to nothing.
Sure. But Wedge also optimizes uploaded images. Even Aeva Media ensures the size of previews is the smallest possible for the best quality.

QuoteThe "other" field, which I'm guessing is streaming media (video), accounts for the biggest percentage change. Read the "Despite all this growth, is the internet getting faster?" title.
Just because my connection is 8MBps (and I suppose for anyone living in Paris it's ridiculously slow) doesn't mean everyone is as lucky as I am. Most developing countries have slow connections, and while a 1MB page will still load quickly for them, it's not something to be ignored.
More importantly, mobile phones have limited capabilities. Not everyone has a Galaxy S3 like I do. And I find it very slow on today's web pages. Even the S4 is just 'okay' for web browsing. Last time I tried browsing with my old iPod Touch 4, I was about to cry. It was just so excruciatingly slow.

And this is all down to the fact that images and videos are okay, but large SCRIPTS aren't. How often do you find a news site that has tons of animated banners? One of those nerve-wracking popups asking for your opinion on the website when you haven't even had the opportunity to read a line of the article? And one of those wonderful little snippets that offer to "Share this boring article on Facebook, Reddit, Twitter, EatMyCrap, and 848 other websites we've never been to but if you're using them, you MUST share on them!"...?
On my mobile phone, everytime I'm getting some news, I'm dreading that I'll be redirected to one of the many sites that make my life miserable. These sites, they simply don't CARE about how much bandwidth they use, because usually they include external scripts, Flash files and so on. They don't realize they're not getting new followers because they're trying so hard to pack every monetizing trick into a single page.

jQuery inclusion has got more of a trivial impact on bandwidth, because chances are you'll be getting a version that's already cached in your browser. But apart from that one... Hmm.
Also, not only these scripts take time to load, but they'll often force a re-layout, thereby disrupting your reading experience right in the middle of it. Take into account the fact that mobile browsers are slow to execute JavaScript, and it's just something that doesn't work for me.

That's one of the many reasons why I think it's not 'dirty' to talk about micro-optimizations.

QuoteI learned that the most important thing is the speed of development. If you don't develop, you won't have users. You can't develop without making it nice for developers.
Well... I'm afraid you can.

QuoteWorrying about minutia (like coding guidelines) is not what developers want to worry about. If a developer wants to spend his or her time going through the code to make it look better or perform better, good for them, but any pressure to make other developers to do the same will turn them off.
Or, alternatively, you could accept user submissions, and just do a quick refactoring to make it fit your guidelines.