Skip to main content
Topic: Ok, the new quote goes to quick reply is annoying (Read 7505 times) previous topic - next topic

Ok, the new quote goes to quick reply is annoying

Is there an option somewhere to put it back how it was?  Or dare I say how it's supposed to be.  :P

Re: Ok, the new quote goes to quick reply is annoying

Reply #1

It seems there's not short of going and disabling quick reply entirely.  What was wrong with honor the collapsed state of quick reply?

Reply #2

Quote from: scripple – It seems there's not short of going and disabling quick reply entirely.  What was wrong with honor the collapsed state of quick reply?

If you have QR enabled at all, the board should use it. Don't like QR? Disable it.

Reply #3

And we let you fold it why then?  This is change for change's sake.

Reply #4

Click on the arrow on the right? :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Yes I know we can collapse.  But by forcing it open when I click quote it's pointless.  I truly don't understand the push to eliminate the post page.

Reply #6

Why not skip the post page entirely and put all of the options, the post page has, right into the quick reply section (close a topic, attach a file, etc)? I could live with that (no: I would love to see that in action!), it would be much faster to reply in a topic (and it would look more like social networking).  :)

Reply #7

That's where they want to go it seems.  Not a fan myself.

Reply #8

Ahhh... the quote.
Okay, as a quick fix, remove this part from topic.js:
Code: [Select]
	if (this.bCollapsed)
{
this.bCollapsed = !this.bCollapsed;
this.swap(false, false);
}

About the post page... dunno to me looks a duplication, but if you want it I'm not against keeping it.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

Will there be a modification to put the ability to attach a file, close the topic, etc to quick reply? And skip the post page?  O:-)

Reply #10

Yes please keep it.  Thank you.

And it was fixing topic.js to turn this behavior off that was causing problems with the minimizer  I posted in the other thread.  But thanks for the fix.

Reply #11

Just a quick question: can you @scripple describe a bit how you use the quick reply?
Not joking, I'm really interested in understand it, because wouldn't be for attachments and preview I'd use only that, so I'm biased on one side, instead you seem to use the quick reply in a way rather different, including the expand/collapse (thing that I have never ever used).

So it seems you keep the quick reply collapsed (minimal I suppose, just the textarea, right?), you open it just to answer "in some cases" (which?) and then you close it (so now you "expand-post-and-close-it", correct?).
You want the quote to always go to the post page, is there a specific reason? (The box too small? You use the WYSIWYG when quoting?).
In case you don't quote you always use the quick reply? Or just seldom?

I'm really trying to gather some informations to see if there is some good alternative for everybody. ;D

For example I know I tend to use the full post page for the quoted text because of the ctrl+enter splitting of the quoted text that is not available in the simple textarea of the quick reply. But that happens only if I have to split quotes.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #13

If you use the "full" editor (i.e. the one will all the buttons), quote a message and you obtain something like:
[quote]
this is a quoted message

with more than one line
[/quote]

If you put the cursor in the empty line:
[quote]
this is a quoted message
<---- CURSOR HERE
with more than one line
[/quote]
and use ctrl+enter from the keyboard, it splits the quoted text to:
[quote]
this is a quoted message[/quote]<--- the cursor is here
[quote]
with more than one line
[/quote]
You have now split the quote without having to copy the quote tag or write a new one, etc. to end up with:
[quote]
this is a quoted message[/quote]

This is my reply to the first line

[quote]
with more than one line
[/quote]

And here I answer your second line.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.