Skip to main content
Topic: Forum index display (Read 3737 times) previous topic - next topic

Forum index display

I was wondering if its better to display last post info for forums, in forum index by moving the post author to the second line giving more space for post title

req.jpg

also
i ported my forum from vb so there was container forum with no posts , but has 3 child forums
now in forum index the topics/posts count for it is 0 ,
req2.jpg

hope if it possible to reflex the total count of child forum posts/topics instead

Re: Forum index display

Reply #1

No opinions on the place of the name.

IIRC there is an option in the admin panel for that shows the counting of the 1st child level in the parent (I always forgot where the darn thing is, though. xD)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Thank you for pointing me to that option , yes i found it :
Administration Center > Forum > Settings : Count child's posts in parent's totals [check box]

Reply #3

Quote from: sherif – I was wondering if its better to display last post info for forums, in forum index by moving the post author to the second line giving more space for post title

This seems to be standard in my forum.  :o

Reply #4

Hmm you must be using another theme other than default or a modified one

Or am i missing some native option which can do this for me?

Reply #5

@Jorin I see that you are using a custom theme , however no matter what customizing is done, length of the subject is the same, I think its limited to a $short_subject = 24 character , AND in your case = 14 since your (Antw.: ) and (...) are counted  :o
Code: (Terribly Short) [Select]
Antw.: Deutsche Sprac...
123456789-123456789-1234

and it get worse in my Arabic language forum , so please anybody , if there is an option to control this setting let me know , or at least post some modification that solve this issue

Reply #6

I am using the default theme but with other colors. Didn't change the layout.

Reply #7

ok , any thoughts on my request , any help ?!!

Reply #8

BoardList.class.php:
Code: [Select]
$this_last_post['link'] = '<a href="' . $this_last_post['href'] . '" title="' . $row_board['subject'] . '">' . $row_board['short_subject'] . '</a>';
to:
$this_last_post['link'] = '<a href="' . $this_last_post['href'] . '" title="' . $row_board['subject'] . '">' . $row_board['subject'] . '</a>';
you get the whole thing.
Then, if you want to have the subject on its own line:
.lastpost_link {
    display: block;
}
.board_lastposter {
    display: inline;
}
.board_lasttime {
    display: inline;
    padding-left: 0.3em;
}
Or something like that.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

@emanuele thanks for your help , very appreciated .
As you mentioned this will get the whole subject title , and broke the site look or at least shift many areas specially when window resized , not mentioning the mobile mode which will be completely screwed
So my last question about this issue before i give up on it for good , is there another fix which allow increasing the length of the displayed subject from the standard 24 character to something like 35 or 40 ?

Reply #10

You can open up Load.php in your /sources file.

Find 
			$modSettings['subject_length'] = 24;
and try other values.   I'm not 100% sure that is used everywhere, but its worth a try.

Reply #11

Quote from: sherif – As you mentioned this will get the whole subject title , and broke the site look or at least shift many areas specially when window resized , not mentioning the mobile mode which will be completely screwed
I gave a general hint, not the solution.
TBH, I'm not that good with theming and fix all the possible sizes it would take me quite a bit of time...
It's not impossible, it just requires a bit of time.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #12

ok , and thanks again for you help

Reply #13

@Spuds , yes that setting did the job , thank you for your help

Quote from: Spuds – You can open up Load.php in your /sources file.
Find
			$modSettings['subject_length'] = 24;
and try other values.  I'm not 100% sure that is used everywhere, but its worth a try.