Skip to main content
Topic: Sticky a topic to all boards (Read 1800 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Sticky a topic to all boards

Reply #15

Couldn't this be done with the News feature and have it shown on all boards not just the index?

Reply #16

Quote from: Allan – Couldn't this be done with the News feature and have it shown on all boards not just the index?

Again, not a bad idea, but with long posts like rules for support topics, it could take a lot of space.
But I also had contemplated this, so good thinking. :)

Another idea I had just had, was maybe a news block that cut off at a certain point and would expand if clicked "Read more."
Or even a link that would do a pop-up window, like the "?" in admin panel.
However, not sure how to make those.

Reply #17

Well, you can always launch the forum sign-in page inside a webframe... ( iframe/frameset or css/javascript ) ... even run the forum in one...  :tongue:
Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 01:37:51 pm by Steeley

// Deep inside every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives //

Reply #18

Quote from: Burke_Knight –
Another idea I had just had, was maybe a news block that cut off at a certain point and would expand if clicked "Read more."
Or even a link that would do a pop-up window, like the "?" in admin panel.
However, not sure how to make those.

Make an html file with your desired content. In the news banner, start it with some banner text / teaser content and end the 2nd line with "Read More..." which is a hyperlink to that file.  It appears over the Forum window, close the window or click the "back button" (instructions displayed in the file depending on how the file opens), or even a link in the html file "Return to Forum" with the "_self" target, whatever..  to get back to the forum..

Depending on just how annoying you want to be, have the initial link  on your site to the forum sign-in page actually go to the file, with a link to the actual forum sign-in page at the bottom, so all your users have to open and at least scroll your text (whatever it is) before they even sign in. (unless they just bookmark your sign-in page and bypass the file, of course..) 

You might even be able to display the initial "registration agreement" page at each login (I defer to others as I was just looking for those registration configuration options and if it exists it's buried in some sub-menu I haven't located yet.. I stopped poking around as it's not my problem..  :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:  )
Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 02:36:18 pm by Steeley

Reply #19

@Steeley, It's not for registration.
It's for certain boards, which would have support issues posted.
That's why need something to be on those boards only, on the posting page.

Reply #20

Quote from: Burke_Knight – @Steeley, It's not for registration.
It's for certain boards, which would have support issues posted.
That's why need something to be on those boards only, on the posting page.

OK, so you don't want EVERYBODY to read it, just those in certain boards.. 
Yea, if you don't want to get in and mess with the php, I don't know of any way other than creating a sticky in each of those boards.

Reply #22

You can also create a custom HTML block using Simple Portal and choose the boards where to display it.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #23

I thought the same, Radu.

Could also be done with a custom BBC block and a spoiler there, because he has a lot of text.

But Burke_Knight wants his members to see this text not only on certain boards.
They should see it while writing in a topic as well, if I understood him well.
Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 11:49:14 pm by Ruth

Reply #24

Quote from: Ruth – But Burke_Knight wants his members to see this text not only on certain boards.
They should see it while writing in a topic as well, if I understood him well.

Just on post form for certain boards, would be the ideal location.
Right now, I have it in a block in the boards, with a spoiler, as well as modified versions as sticky topics in those boards.

Reply #25

Quote from: Burke_Knight – Just on post form for certain boards, would be the ideal location.
Not sure of this, but maybe this may be achieved with Simple Ads add-on
sorry for my bad english