[ 1 ] (7.1%)
Call the user's button "Personal"
[ 0 ] (0%)
Call the user's button by the username
[ 4 ] (28.6%)
Call it something else (please specify)
[ 3 ] (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Topic: New menu arrangement: Community - Staff - Personal (Read 47739 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Re: Linktree and Dropmenu arr...

Re: New menu arrangement: Community - Staff - Personal

Reply #135

Ah. Ok, no worries. Well can play around with it a bit if you like. I haven't given it any thought yet, but it shouldn't be that hard. All you are really doing is re-formatting the sidebar menu categories for a different look, if you see what I mean.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #136

Oh well. I didn't read replies here for a while, I'll just share my thoughts after all this experiment on the menu.

It's not ok to click on Account and get to PMs. It's not OK to click on a main menu (Account, and Admin), and get to TWO different areas.

Main menu item = area.

A matter of usability, of natural user expectation, no matter what you felt/brainstormed about when you coded it.

So, please lets bring back two menu items for each of those, or merge the areas. I say 1).
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #137

At the moment I sent a PR that splits PMs and profile back, I didn't touch admin/moderate, because TBH I don't find it that bad.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #138

I was playing a bit, nothing too serious (considering also I just put together the images with gimp :P).

What would you think of something like the first attachment where the image image is a toggle between the normal login and open id?

And move the "My account" to the left instead of the "Log out" that could become the last element of the "My account"?

ETA: related to:
https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/issues/710

ETA2: the move of the "log out" somewhere relatively more hidden is just because I personally do not use it that much, most of the times I'm logged in "forever" and don't even care to log out unless I have to try a second account (thing that nowadays I can do with a "private" browser window so I don't even need to log out at all).
I'm not sure how other people are using the logout button, so it may be I'm in minority (as usual :P), so opinions on the usage of that button are welcome! ;D
Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 09:03:00 am by emanuele
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #139

great, where's the Pull request? ;D
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #140

It's just an image, I can send it, but I don't know if it would work... :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #141

I like that quite a bit :) 

The My Account with log out inside that pulldown, thats more consistent with other GUI's I think.  Also people want to get to their stuff first so logout does not have to be that prominently displayed or take up top level real estate.

Quote from: TE – great, where's the Pull request? ;D
What he said :)

Reply #142

Check it out ans see if you really like it. :P
https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/pull/1017
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #143

Just throwing in an idea: perhaps even go as far as to change the label 'My account' to the user's name, and maybe even a small version of their avatar? Then the whole "hello_ndt" bit next to the news could be dropped altogether, too.

Reply #144

The name was suggested a while ago in this topic, dunno...I'm not so sure (do note I do not use social networks and so I have no idea what people expect).

About the avatar, I was thinking to try that too, but based on a comment by forumsearch0r few days ago on how difficult to see was (is?) the very small avatar next to the messages in mobile-form theme I thought it may result in a too small image to be actually useful.

Well, let's see it in place: the "welcome blabla" at the top is the one in the PR, while the small one next to "my account" in the menu item is just an image I added "on-the-fly".
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #145

The favAvatar is not bad and the only one who sees it is, well you, and you know what your avatar looks like even when small.  For the mobile view we could drop it with one of the media querys so you don't end up with something even smaller than a favIcon.  

I can go either way on the my account vs name, I kind of lean towards my account but can't give any reason other than thats my preference.  Of course using something from social media is  a good way to go, it will be "familiar" to many users, and thats a large user base.

Reply #146

We can try. :P

Updated the PR with the attached.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #147

Yeah, it's better  :D
I've been playing with your branch too, and the thing I don't like is the toggle between Login and OpenID.. I think the cleanest version would be to just place the login there and a small openID image with a hyperlink to action=login.. OpenID is cool but it's probably rarely used.

Here's my current version:

Reply #148

emanuele waits for a PR from TE at his repo. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #149

One technical reason I can think in order to avoid the name in the menu item: "my account" is a fixed thing, while the name could be smaller, but also wider. And if the name is "big" there would be only two options: 1) cut it, 2) let it break the template.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.