Skip to main content
Topic: recent posts in info center (Read 22142 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: recent posts in info center

Reply #15

Any news on this? Maybe switch to top of index (not bottom) and show the correct header ("recent topics" instead of "recent posts")?  O:-)

Reply #16

smf - Recent Topics On Board Index
Sorry for my English

Reply #17

No need to go at sm.org, it's here:
http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=2033.msg12940#msg12940
and it has been there for quite a few months. ;)
For including it in the default I'm still not sure is fine in a micro release, it requires changes to theme and strings, the fact it would require a new function is not a big problem, but to make it work with any currently existing theme would be a bit tricky.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #18

Could always add the functionality such that a custom theme could make use of it for 1.0.3 and save the rest for 1.1?  Just a thought.

Reply #19

Seems to have some problems. It's not actual. I have a new post from today 11.03 o'clock but the recent topic list in info center shows a message from february 9th. Two days ago.

I can remember you discussed the possibility that the recent topics are not the newest topics, but the important ones, right?

Edit: Ah! It shows a link to the newest post in the topic, but topic author and date is from the first post (which started the topic). Hm, can this be changed?

Edit 2: Sorry, I was wrong. It still shows not all last changed topics (because of new posts).  :-X

Reply #20

Any news on this? The list of recent posts and threads in the header of the board seems to be showing topic starter infos too (instead of last post poster info).  :(

Reply #21

I've been sick last week, and I'm catching up on what I left around here and there.

Do you have cache enabled?
If it is so, the list of recent topics is cached for about 60 seconds, so it will not change immediately.

ETA: okay, try the one attached.

ETA2: package removed, new one is here
Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 05:41:01 pm by emanuele
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #22

I tried. Interesting...

Now I have the addon installed two times (screenshot "package1"), and I have to integration hooks (screenshot "package2"). But I can't delete the red marked one. Nothing happens if I click on "deinstall". On the board index nothing changed, there are still not the names and dates of the latest posts listed.  :(

Reply #23

You are pretty unlucky with addons. :P

A suggestion: do not try to delete anything from that page.

Unfortunately I have to ask you to do a couple of checks in order to understand what the issue is... :(

• Did you uninstall the previous version before installing the new one?
  • Verify via ftp the file is there (I guess it is there, but better be sure).
  • While you are checking point 2, could you please have a look in /forum/packages and see how many copies of the addon package are there?

ETA: I can answer to 2 myself I think:
http://support.elkarte-hilfe.de/sources/subs/RecentTopics.class.php <= 404 not found.
If I'd have to guess, your server has some particular setting that prevents the package manager to copy the files where they should. It would be interesting to understand what the peculiarity is... @Spuds do you have any suggestion on what to check? (Since you know these server oddities much, much better than me... O:-))
Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 05:34:28 pm by emanuele
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #24

1. I did not uninstall because the package manager didn't show the first addon.  >:(
2. The file is there. It hat 644. I changed all files and folders to 777 now (I have to to avoid problems during updates and addon installations). I uploaded the file from the 1.0.2 package now directly. Is this okay?

Nothing changed with the new class file.

So I uploaded the template file into the default theme folder. Or do I have to install the addon again? If he doesn't copy the files onto the server, maybe the addon is not installed anyway?  :-X

Why do you have a language file with strings for "users online today" in the recent topics package?  :o

Reply #25

Oh, I can give you full ftp access to play with my webspace, if you want to. Or admin access to my board to investigate further...  8)

Reply #26

Quote from: Jorin – 1. I did not uninstall because the package manager didn't show the first addon.  >:(
oh... okay, that's odd.
Did you check if the zip file of the old version is there as I suggested in 3.?

Quote from: Jorin – 2. The file is there. It hat 644. I changed all files and folders to 777 now (I have to to avoid problems during updates and addon installations). I uploaded the file from the 1.0.2 package now directly. Is this okay?
If I go to:
http://support.elkarte-hilfe.de/sources/subs/RecentTopics.class.php
I see "Not Found", while if I try with a file I know it shall be there, for example:
http://support.elkarte-hilfe.de/sources/subs/Messages.subs.php
I get "No access...".
So, the "RecentTopics.class.php" doesn't seem to be in the place it should be.
Sorry if the question sounds irritating and maybe disrespecting, but there is something "wrong" with it. ;)

Quote from: Jorin – Or do I have to install the addon again?
In that case yes, uninstall and install is "the way to go", because I added a function to another hook, and that have to be installed.
In 99% of the cases if I give a new zip file then "uninstall and install", if I give just a php file then you can just replace the file.

Quote from: Jorin – If he doesn't copy the files onto the server, maybe the addon is not installed anyway?  :-X
That's something to understand. ;)

Quote from: Jorin – Why do you have a language file with strings for "users online today" in the recent topics package?  :o
Because I'm dumb... :-X
I left the file by mistake when I copied the "users online today" files in order to have a starting point for the new addon. ::)
Just ignore it. ;)

Quote from: Jorin – Oh, I can give you full ftp access to play with my webspace, if you want to. Or admin access to my board to investigate further...  8)
Up to you. :)
I tend to prefer if you (or anyone else with problems) take your time and try to follow the instructions, but I can "jump in" and have a look if you have time problems (not that I have a lot of time, but I can try to find some minutes to have a look).
In that case, probably I'd need ftp access.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #27

Quote from: emanuele – Did you check if the zip file of the old version is there as I suggested in 3.?

It is there, yes. I have to check if you are using installed.lst as SMF does. Maybe I deleted this list while I "installed" the actual ElkArte version... Installed means I copied all files to the server because the package manager wasn't working.  :-[

I forgot to keep this list and if I remember right, the package manager then doesn't know which addons are installed.  O:-)

Quote from: emanuele – If I go to:
http://support.elkarte-hilfe.de/sources/subs/RecentTopics.class.php
I see "Not Found", while if I try with a file I know it shall be there, for example:
http://support.elkarte-hilfe.de/sources/subs/Messages.subs.php
I get "No access...".
So, the "RecentTopics.class.php" doesn't seem to be in the place it should be.
Sorry if the question sounds irritating and maybe disrespecting, but there is something "wrong" with it. ;)

Yeah, the URL.  :D  Try "http://forum-alternative-antriebe.de/" instead of "http://support.elkarte-hilfe.de/".  ;)

I try to get this addon to work in my car forum, not my support forum. Sorry if this wasn't clear.

Quote from: emanuele – In that case yes, uninstall and install is "the way to go", because I added a function to another hook, and that have to be installed.
In 99% of the cases if I give a new zip file then "uninstall and install", if I give just a php file then you can just replace the file.

Okay.  O:-)

Quote from: emanuele – I tend to prefer if you (or anyone else with problems) take your time and try to follow the instructions, but I can "jump in" and have a look if you have time problems (not that I have a lot of time, but I can try to find some minutes to have a look).
In that case, probably I'd need ftp access.

I will look after this prob later. Stay tuned...  ;)

Reply #28

You didn't say the forum I just guessed. :P

Okay, so, if I understood correctly this time:
  • the addon is showing the recent topics, at least means that generally the addon is working. Nice.
  • the problem is (still) the cache that takes 1 minute to update the list of topics. In that case, uninstall and re-install the addon should fix it (it just has to add a new hook to the database).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #29

It seems to work, yes. But the poster name and date isn't correct (it's showing always the first post of the thread, not the last). And I have the feeling it takes more than one minute till new threads are added to the list (if there are new posts in them).

I am not using cache btw. It is deactivated in the admin section.

I will try to successfully deinstall and re-install the mod later.