Skip to main content
Topic: "New topic" button (Read 8636 times) previous topic - next topic

"New topic" button

I offer "New topic" button move to "More..." section.
I think that this button won't be very necessary by operation with messages.
Probably I am not right  ;D

idea: in the first message of a topic to add the "Add poll" button
Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:20:52 am by Inter
Sorry for my English

Re: "New topic" button

Reply #1

I also think we could safely move the "quote to new topic" button under the more drop down.  Its a great feature but I don't think its used so often that it should be on the front row.

So Quote, Edit, Like, More

Maybe some others will voice an option as well, leave it, drop it, replace it with something else more often used?

Reply #2

Looks like a good lineup to me.

By the way, I think I've read somewhere that you've added a feature that divides quoted posts while posting, like when you want to write something for separate parts of a quoted post. Was it my imagination?

Reply #3

Not your imagination  :D

When in the editor (not wizzy mode), position the cursor in the quote where you want to split it and then press and hold Ctrl and then press Enter, and it should split it in two.  (Should split any bbc tag in two as well, but really intended for quotes)

Reply #4

That's really nice! I very often break others' posts into parts, so I always wanted that to be easier. It's a pity that it doesn't work on quickly reply. It also doesn't seem to be able to handle my name but I know I'm special, so I got used to it, lol.

Reply #5

Always said myself should go to the more. ;)

Though, the more is becoming a bit "long" TBH: at the moment there are already 5 buttons, plus the new topic 6.
It may at some point, consider experimenting with a couple of bars or some other trick (I remember I firstly tried with multiple droppy, one attached to each button, but it was not very... well accepted).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Well, I only have one currently and with that one it would be two. I guess the others are related to moderation. Maybe that stuff could get its own button like More... (it looks like with my own posts it would be 3 + 1 - forgot about that but still acceptable I think)

Reply #7

Yeah, maybe a second dropdown "moderation".
I don't remember if the approve appears in the droppy or in the normal bar.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

Quote from: Spuds – When in the editor (not wizzy mode), position the cursor in the quote where you want to split it and then press and hold Ctrl and then press Enter, and it should split it in two.  (Should split any bbc tag in two as well, but really intended for quotes)
cool!
Sorry for my English

Reply #9

Quote from: [SiNaN] – That's really nice! I very often break others' posts into parts, so I always wanted that to be easier. It's a pity that it doesn't work on quickly reply.
Thanks, glad you like it.  Interesting comment on the quick reply.  I take it you use the plain text quick reply box?

We have been discussing removing that and just leaving the editor in place, so I'm curious why you may prefer the textbox.   One of the reasons we (well at least I do) want to remove it is the extra scripts we have in place just to support functions for that one textbox, and the profile options are kind of confusing wrt the quick reply area as well (on off hidden full wizzy etc)

As an example there are separate drafts and mentions scripts to support the textbox vs the plugin versions that are needed to support an editor instance.  I thought, maybe folks want it since its light weight, but now we are adding all this JS functionality to it, so is it really light weight any longer?

Anyway just looking for feedback as to why folks may prefer one over the other.

Quote from: [SiNaNIt also doesn't seem to be able to handle my name but I know I'm special, so I got used to it, lol.
Indeed your name should be used as a test case for all functions, that trailing ] seems to cause issues  :D

Reply #10

Quote from: Spuds – Thanks, glad you like it.  Interesting comment on the quick reply.  I take it you use the plain text quick reply box?
Yeah, I have the full editor disabled for quick reply. (is there a way I can disable it for the full posting action? lol) It's just that I love simple stuff. I rarely style my posts and I'll write the codes myself if I need to. All those buttons and whatnot isn't for me. I had been coding on Notepad for years (even while I was developing for SMF) until I got my own computer and installed Dreamweaver solely for code highlighting. But I might be in the minority in this case.

Quote from: Spuds – Indeed your name should be used as a test case for all functions, that trailing ] seems to cause issues  :D
Cool. So I got a new nickname: Mr. Guinea Pig. :P

Reply #11

It should be possible to use the "full editor" but with hidden/disabled buttons (or maybe simply hide them via css), so the js would be the same, but the interface wouldn't have all the stuff.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #12

Quote from: Spuds – Not your imagination  :D

When in the editor (not wizzy mode), position the cursor in the quote where you want to split it and then press and hold Ctrl and then press Enter, and it should split it in two.  (Should split any bbc tag in two as well, but really intended for quotes)
Actually, this feature never worked for me... (In Chrome, at least.)

And if it works, then I demand proper credit to Wedge. 8)
I first came up with the concept, and implementation, several years ago. This is a great feature, when it comes to usability, and many of my members (including myself) use it a lot. To the point that I'm actually expecting other forums to have the feature, but... They don't. So I'm stuck with no tag splitting. :o

I had a look at the error log in the console, and am getting errors for 'onmessage' and 'onPostMessage', but nothing else.

Reply #13

Quote from: Nao – Actually, this feature never worked for me... (In Chrome, at least.)

And if it works, then I demand proper credit to Wedge. 8)
I first came up with the concept, and implementation, several years ago. This is a great feature, when it comes to usability, and many of my members (including myself) use it a lot. To the point that I'm actually expecting other forums to have the feature, but... They don't. So I'm stuck with no tag splitting. :o

I had a look at the error log in the console, and am getting errors for 'onmessage' and 'onPostMessage', but nothing else.
Yup its a nice feature, I'll take a look at it under chrome and see if I can find anything, thats for letting us know about the issue.

Our inspiration for the feature came from http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=91.msg579#msg579 as did the code base and is attributed as such FWIW

Reply #14

Apologies for the heartfelt rendition, but... My answer was posted, as can be expected, here.