Skip to main content
Topic: Sticky first post (Read 3956 times) previous topic - next topic

Sticky first post

I have seen certain forums where the first post is sticky. No matter on which page of the topic you are in. I guess it will help a lot to remind the members what the topic is really about when it get derailed.

Re: Sticky first post

Reply #1

I have seen this a lot also but usually is a mod.  ;)

Reply #2

Just wondering how popular the idea is  O:-)

Reply #3

If you are talking about the first post always being at the top, regardless of the page you are on .... then no, I generally do not like that. I participate in a forum that has about 30,000 active members with 10 - 12 thousand of them active on a daily to weekly basis. I have seen threads that were hundreds of pages in length with thousands of posts. Looking at that first post on every page would drive you mad after a while.   :) 

Reply #4

Sometimes it depends on the topic. This is most useful on stickied topics, because usually stickied threads are informative, so the first post is generally useful information. In that case, this is extremely helpful. I've also seen threads stickied that are discussion threads, where the first post is less important than the most recent posts. This is definitely more rare, but still possible.

I would certainly like to see this as a mod at least. Could be a cool feature for stickied topics, so long as an admin could turn the feature on/off.

Reply #5

Bump !!

Would be nice to have this to feature options. Even better if we can allow mods and higher staff to use it just like delete post option..

Reply #6

Hm, to call the concept "sticky first post" or "first post on every page"… both make sense. ;) It does imply a conceptual difference, namely whether it's a (mod's) choice or whether it's applied to every topic. I'd say both should be supported.

I might investigate this as an addon, but I don't consider it a migration blocker like quick quote.

Reply #8

Spuds thinks emanuele needs to learn to use the addon site :P

Reply #9

Eh, I understand where he's coming from. I never released any of my SMF modifications on their addon site 'cause I just slapped 'em together for my own forum. I've now written three Elk addons[1] and the only one I feel is ready for being made public that way has been lazing around due to some unresolved licensing questions for almost five days now (although you can easily find it if you want because I stuck it out in the open you know where :P).
Well, converted them from my SMF addons, but for User Agent Display it meant almost a full rewrite.

Reply #10

emanuele have to finish up the "push to git" addon, so that it can be used both for bug reports and the addons site. O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #11

Frenzie would like to remind @emanuele that he has a PM. xD

Reply #12

Don't let emanuele fool ya, he is just lazy :D :P

Really the addon site entry can be as simple as a pointer to a thread / post on this site ... it simply makes it easy for others to find.