Skip to main content
Topic: Drop down in posting profile (Read 4596 times) previous topic - next topic

Drop down in posting profile

Is there a way to have everything in drop down displayed in the posting profile of to the left? I have looked everywhere and can't find it.

Just wanted to say I made first topic on support   :P

Re: Drop down in posting profile

Reply #1

Look & layout, first option. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Thank you, I know I looked there  ;)

Reply #3

Ok dumb question how to setup it up for default so it shows no drop down for everyone?

I tried the setting Use sidebar menu instead of dropdowns and all it does is make the acp have a sidebar.

Reply #4

Is the dropdown so bad? (Genuine question.)

It's in the "usual" admin > configuration > theme management > members options
Actually, being a theme setting it does make some sort of sense.
Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:59:09 am by emanuele
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

No it's not bad, just wanted to see how it looked traditionally and see what I liked better.
That is where I went and it doesn't change the drop down in the post profile only the admin drop down to sidebar.

Reply #6

Hmm...
I found a couple of bugs in the members options area fixed few minutes ago, but the function seems to work as expected and show the sidebar menu both in the profile and the admin area when enabled... :-\
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

I just tried it on the default theme and same thing, it changes the admin area but not the post profile.

Reply #8

I honestly did not think there was an option to always show the poster information dropdown?

Reply #9

Wow guys, you really need to make documentation or some sort of wiki :)

Reply #10

I may have misunderstood, I thought Allan was looking for the side-bar in action=profile, but re-reading it looks like he is talking about the dropdown of the "mini-profile" next to the messages.

Which one is it?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #11

mini-profile sorry for any confusion.

Reply #12

Oh that one. Then no, there is no option as Spuds said.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #13

ok I thought I didn't see any. I hope this is something that can be done in the future then.

Reply #14

We could add another generic template for the poster dive that does not have the info in the pulldown, but TBH I'm not sure about it either,  Scratching my head on this one as I can see the want for this.

The thing we run in to with any theme is that you can't make a single theme that works 100% for everyone.  What  has been done in the past is add options for xyz, to the point it gets really insane, so many options makes it hard to maintain, debug, support, etc.  So I want to avoid that pitfall, or what I see as a pitfall.

We actually dropped a bunch of options (profile and/or theme) in an effort to simply things.  The core would still supports the option/data/etc so a custom theme can take advantage of them instead of the default them trying to be the end all be all for everyone.

So all that said, I can see custom themes doing this enough that having a core template may make sense.