Skip to main content
Topic: Items Needed To Be Added Into The Wiki (Read 11962 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Items Needed To Be Added Into The Wiki

Reply #15

I reorganized the to do list page, however, because of the sidebar, the whole chart doesn't show up.

@Spuds , is there any way I can remove the sidebar just in the to do list page?
Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 02:01:11 am by Mstcool

Reply #16

Quote from: Mstcool – I reorganized the to do list page, however, because of the sidebar, the whole chart doesn't show up.

@Spuds , is there any way I can remove the sidebar just in the to do list page?

Nvm, I changed it. However, I still would like to know if there is anyway to remove the sidebar in just one page :P

Reply #17

The sidebar is a bit of a conundrum on the GitHub Wiki ... Here is what I know.  You can have a _Sidebar file in a directory and GitHub will use that file to show the sidebar when you have navigated to that area.  So to have a custom sidebar for a page or group of pages, those page(s) must be in its their own directory with its own _Sidebar file.  If a child directroy does not have a _Sidebar file then it will use the parent on instead.

In order to work with directories you need to fork the wiki "repo" to you local machine.  If you do this you will see that there are currently several directories, right now one for each area of the "main" page sidebar.

/
/about-elkarte
/community-howto
/setup-guides
/technical-documentation

So for example when you go to the setup-guides area, in the directory there is a _Sidebar file, that's why the sidebar changes in that area https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/wiki/Setup-Home  That _Sidebar file is just another wiki page really.  Setup-Home lives in the setup-guides directory, so when wiki loads that page it also loads the _Sidebar from that directory.

Now the problem with the online git editor, or the wiki in general, is that it does not really know about directories.  When you create a page you don't link to it by directory, just name, as far as the wiki is concerned there are no directories to reference, it simple finds the first matched name and loads it.  So you have to be careful not to use duplicate wiki page names other than _Sidebar.

For example if you were to select the edit icon for the sidebar in the above link, it will actually pull up the _Sidebar file from the root directory since that's the first one it finds since it does not use directories.  The only way to edit that file is to get a local copy so you can directly edit the file.

If you want a todo sidebar, we need to move the todo page(s) to their own directory and in that directory create the _Sidebar  That will give a custom one, but you can't remove it (that I know) so unfortunately they tend to collide with tables or content that does not flow.

Reply #18

Quote from: Spuds – The sidebar is a bit of a conundrum on the GitHub Wiki ... Here is what I know.  You can have a _Sidebar file in a directory and GitHub will use that file to show the sidebar when you have navigated to that area.  So to have a custom sidebar for a page or group of pages, those page(s) must be in its their own directory with its own _Sidebar file.  If a child directroy does not have a _Sidebar file then it will use the parent on instead.

In order to work with directories you need to fork the wiki "repo" to you local machine.  If you do this you will see that there are currently several directories, right now one for each area of the "main" page sidebar.

/
/about-elkarte
/community-howto
/setup-guides
/technical-documentation

So for example when you go to the setup-guides area, in the directory there is a _Sidebar file, that's why the sidebar changes in that area https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/wiki/Setup-Home  That _Sidebar file is just another wiki page really.  Setup-Home lives in the setup-guides directory, so when wiki loads that page it also loads the _Sidebar from that directory.

Now the problem with the online git editor, or the wiki in general, is that it does not really know about directories.  When you create a page you don't link to it by directory, just name, as far as the wiki is concerned there are no directories to reference, it simple finds the first matched name and loads it.  So you have to be careful not to use duplicate wiki page names other than _Sidebar.

For example if you were to select the edit icon for the sidebar in the above link, it will actually pull up the _Sidebar file from the root directory since that's the first one it finds since it does not use directories.  The only way to edit that file is to get a local copy so you can directly edit the file.

If you want a todo sidebar, we need to move the todo page(s) to their own directory and in that directory create the _Sidebar  That will give a custom one, but you can't remove it (that I know) so unfortunately they tend to collide with tables or content that does not flow.

Oh, I understand. That's fine :)

How come you guys don't use like an actual wiki software tho? :P

Reply #19

Because this one requires no server resources, no money, no admin maintenance, no software updates, etc its all managed for us  .... its not perfect by any means but given the free resources and time of the members its a good compromise at this time IMO

Reply #20

Quote from: Spuds – Because this one requires no server resources, no money, no admin maintenance, no software updates, etc its all managed for us  .... its not perfect by any means but given the free resources and time of the members its a good compromise at this time IMO

Oh, trueeeee

Reply #21

In other words... we are LAZY!!!!

emanuele runs. :P
Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 07:46:45 pm by emanuele
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #22

What is the difference between update and upgrade?

EDIT: Also, is everything I have added in this doc correct?

https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/wiki/Update-and-Upgrade
Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 02:16:56 am by Mstcool

Reply #23

Quote from: Mstcool – What is the difference between update and upgrade?
Usually "update" is considered a 1.0.1 to 1.0.2 to 1.0.3 (micro versions), while "upgrade" is when you go from 1.0.x to 1.1 or 2.0, etc. (minor/major version upgrades).

I would:
  • point to: https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/releases
  • suggest to pick the most recent version released
  • and pick one of the files "ElkArte_vX-Y-Z_install.zip", "ElkArte_vX-Y-Z_upgrade.zip" (at the moment there isn't any), "ElkArte_vX-Y-Z_patch.zip"
  • use it accordingly.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #24

Quote from: emanuele –
Quote from: Mstcool – What is the difference between update and upgrade?
Usually "update" is considered a 1.0.1 to 1.0.2 to 1.0.3 (micro versions), while "upgrade" is when you go from 1.0.x to 1.1 or 2.0, etc. (minor/major version upgrades).

Quote from: Mstcool – EDIT: Also, is everything I have added in this doc correct?

https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/wiki/Update-and-Upgrade
I would:
  • point to: https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/releases
  • suggest to pick the most recent version released
  • and pick one of the files "ElkArte_vX-Y-Z_install.zip", "ElkArte_vX-Y-Z_upgrade.zip" (at the moment there isn't any), "ElkArte_vX-Y-Z_patch.zip"
  • use it accordingly.

Alright, thanks :)

I'll update it... Probably by tmrw

Reply #25

I was thinking: instead of speaking of "update" and "upgrade", wouldn't be better to use "patch" and "upgrade"?
The first pair of terms is rather similar and may be confused, but the second should be much easier to distinguish and explain.

What do you think?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #26

Good idea!

Reply #27

or "patch" and "migrate"
or "update" and "migrate"

migrate is used on joomla
sorry for my bad english

Reply #28

Quote from: radu81 – or "patch" and "migrate"
or "update" and "migrate"

migrate is used on joomla

Migrate would mean coming from a different software to this software

I guess patch and upgrade would work, but Spuds will have to change the names on the sidebar, I don't have access to it :P

Reply #29

Quote from: Mstcool – Migrate would mean coming from a different software to this software
That's a conversion. Anyway it has no difference for me
sorry for my bad english