Skip to main content
Topic: Items Needed To Be Added Into The Wiki (Read 12027 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Items Needed To Be Added Into The Wiki

Reply #30

Quote from: radu81 –
Quote from: Mstcool – Migrate would mean coming from a different software to this software
That's a conversion. Anyway it has no difference for me

It is conversion but some people also say migrate. Plus, migrate doesn't really make sense to use instead of upgrade because you are upgrading a software rather than migrating it. :P
Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 01:07:47 am by Mstcool

Reply #31

Nobody uses conversion for the change of a software here in germany. Migration is the term always used. I am for "patch" and "migration".

Reply #32

Quote from: Jorin – Nobody uses conversion for the change of a software here in germany. Migration is the term always used. I am for "patch" and "migration".

But the doc isn't on conversion. It's on upgrading and updating it :P

Patch can work, let's just keep upgrade the same as it is. What do yall think?

Reply #33

Sorry, missunderstanding.  O:-)

Patch = 1.0.2 to 1.0.3
Upgrade = 1.0.2 to 1.1.0 or to 2.0.0
Migration = Software XYZ to ElkArte

Reply #34

Random thoughts (I already burned my brain with the other post lol).

I tend to use "conversion" for the move from one software to another.

Interesting the "migration" term, I don't know much about joomla.
Reading the https://docs.joomla.org/Why_Migrate page and https://docs.joomla.org/Portal:Upgrading_Versions , the term seems to be used for major "upgrades" (i.e. 1.x to 2.0), and in that sense it is not a bad idea. Actually, at some point, it may be useful to have this distinction[1], but on the other hand it may make things more confused... :-\
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To think.
Because the two operations are technically quite different: during a 1.0 to 1.1 "upgrade" the theory is that everything (addons and themes) should still be compatible, while during an 1.x to 2.0 few things may break (badly).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #35

Quote from: Mstcool – I guess patch and upgrade would work, but Spuds will have to change the names on the sidebar, I don't have access to it :P
You should be able to do that, but yes it does require getting a full local copy of the wiki/repo and I understand that level of Gitiness is not for everyone.  Whatever you decide on for the name, just open an bug/issue on github so the request does not get lost and I'll get it taken care of!

Reply #36

Quote from: emanuele – Random thoughts (I already burned my brain with the other post lol).

I tend to use "conversion" for the move from one software to another.

Interesting the "migration" term, I don't know much about joomla.
Reading the https://docs.joomla.org/Why_Migrate page and https://docs.joomla.org/Portal:Upgrading_Versions , the term seems to be used for major "upgrades" (i.e. 1.x to 2.0), and in that sense it is not a bad idea. Actually, at some point, it may be useful to have this distinction[1], but on the other hand it may make things more confused... :-\
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To think.

Well, migration can work but for example, you get a house, in a way, migration is when you would move from one house to another (aka known as moving), in this case it would be softwares. Also, upgrade would mean, adding stuff to your house but keeping location, base and everything the same (aka known as renovation), but in this case, upgrade

We can use migrate, but it will confuse people, I believe. :P

And okie, thank you @spuds :)
Because the two operations are technically quite different: during a 1.0 to 1.1 "upgrade" the theory is that everything (addons and themes) should still be compatible, while during an 1.x to 2.0 few things may break (badly).

Reply #37

Getting off the topic I was looking for how to install ElkArte and wasn't able to find any docs on how to.

Reply #39

Thank you, I now ELkArte is different than SMF but we don't need any file permission changes. Please I you might want to add that magic_quotes need to be set to off for the installation to run.

Reply #40

Quote from: Allan – Thank you, I now ELkArte is different than SMF but we don't need any file permission changes. Please I you might want to add that magic_quotes need to be set to off for the installation to run.

Done. :)

Reply #41

Quote from: Mstcool –
Quote from: Allan – Thank you, I now ELkArte is different than SMF but we don't need any file permission changes. Please I you might want to add that magic_quotes need to be set to off for the installation to run.

Done. :)
Awesome I just know it gets me every time.  ;)

Reply #42

Aha, alright :)