Skip to main content
Topic: Items Needed To Be Added Into The Wiki (Read 11670 times) previous topic - next topic

Items Needed To Be Added Into The Wiki

I just thought that we should also start working on adding things to the wiki!

Here are a few things listed by @Jorin that I thought were good to add to the wiki:

Quote from: Jorin – - Administration

--- Update & Upgrade
----- Update (f.e. 10.0 to 1.0.1)
----- Upgrade (f.e. 1.0.0 to 2.0.0)
--- Migration
--- Server Settings
--- Forum Settings
--- Permissions
--- ...and all the other functions of ElkArte
- Customization
--- Installation of Addons
--- Installation of Themes
- Coding
--- Coding ElkArte (?)
--- Coding Addons
--- Coding Themes
- Languages
--- Installation
--- Translation
- Anything else?
- Glossary

Here are the things already being worked on:

Things done:

Guide on installing Elkarte; can be found by clicking here
Information about Member Groups; can be found by clicking here

Please Note: If you are creating any documents, please edit the "To Do List" page, which can be found by clicking here, and add the name of the doc, with your name in the "Here are the things already being worked on:" section.
Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:28:36 pm by Mstcool

Re: Items Needed To Be Added Into The Wiki

Reply #1

I think adding "stub" pages in the wiki in the structure that we think works is a good thing to do.  It will help people see what areas need to be edited without fearing that they are going to add a page in the wrong area or something. 

I have a bit more work to do on the small revamp of the wiki layout that I'll get in place today or tomorrow, all that's left is to have the sidebar reflect the pages for the area that you are in, right now its all pages so its pretty much useless.

Reply #2

What's a stub page?

Why don't yall use an actual wiki software? Github wiki is kind of useless for a forum wiki, in my opinion :P

Reply #3

Quote from: Mstcool – What's a stub page?

Why don't yall use an actual wiki software? Github wiki is kind of useless for a forum wiki, in my opinion :P

I am with you you I personally find Github confusing.

Reply #4

Ever thought about creating a knowledge base as part of the board?

At SMFPortal we had mediawiki but it caused too many problems. We made forms for people to use so the articles had the same structure for example. But this leaded to problems with updates.

We decided to migrate the articles into our board then. So no one needs to register at the wiki again and all know how to use the board editor (while the writing of mediawiki code is quite different).

Reply #5

Quote from: Jorin – Ever thought about creating a knowledge base as part of the board?

At SMFPortal we had mediawiki but it caused too many problems. We made forms for people to use so the articles had the same structure for example. But this leaded to problems with updates.

We decided to migrate the articles into our board then. So no one needs to register at the wiki again and all know how to use the board editor (while the writing of mediawiki code is quite different).

True, but a wiki is superior for documentation given its ability to track revisions. Whenever you have a written explanation of technical procedures, it's going to require revision (especially as new features are added). Being able to see who added what, or who removed what, or who edited what is a real boon.

Basically, things change. Knowledge changes. You want the most up-to-date explanation of things and knowledge displayed to users. But you don't want to lose the old things or knowledge.

Reply #6

You're right about this point. Just wanted to add my idea. Truth is, we had a small team at SMFPortal then and only two or three of us worked with the wiki. So we had no problem with that.

Reply #7

Installation Guide is pretty much done. If anyone can, please improve the wording and add/remove things. :P

Reply #8

Quote from: Mstcool – Why don't yall use an actual wiki software?
Dunno...
I used to be part of the doc team while the transition to mediawiki, and even though MW is without any doubt The Wiki software, it's also a pain in terms of maintenance and set up (intended as time spent to get the basics needs "in place").

Quote from: Mstcool – Github wiki is kind of useless for a forum wiki, in my opinion :P
It's different for sure, and it looks a bit limited at first sight.
What do you feel is lacking at the moment?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

Quote from: emanuele –
Quote from: Mstcool – Why don't yall use an actual wiki software?
Dunno...
I used to be part of the doc team while the transition to mediawiki, and even though MW is without any doubt The Wiki software, it's also a pain in terms of maintenance and set up (intended as time spent to get the basics needs "in place").

Quote from: Mstcool – Github wiki is kind of useless for a forum wiki, in my opinion :P
It's different for sure, and it looks a bit limited at first sight.
What do you feel is lacking at the moment?

Tbh, when I go on github and go to the Ea repo, and I see the wiki page, to me, it seems like it's either some default wiki on how to navigate through github and/or a wiki on how to contribute to the repo. :P

Reply #10

Well... could be because the only pages ever written up to now are only about how to contribute? :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #11

I have also created a wiki page with this same information. This way, we can all know what pages are done and what pages are being written and by who.

https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/wiki/To-Do-List

I hope you guys don't mind me talking about the wiki a lot.

Also, @Jorin , I hope you don't mind me using your quote in the wiki page. :P

Reply #12

No prob!

Reply #13

emanuele likes to-do lists!
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.