Skip to main content
Topic: Working on new home page (Read 6963 times) previous topic - next topic

Working on new home page

I thought will try to give something to the community that is visible :D . I have almost completed my variant of Home Page. I have posted the screen shot here. Will try to take it live sometime tomorrow. Suggestions are welcome.

Re: Working on new home page

Reply #2

Nice try! :D

I would set less space between the blocks, now they look rather isolated.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

I can. But that will compromise responsiveness to some level.

Reply #4

It looks very disjointed. Like there is no commonality between everything.

Reply #5

Quote from: meetdilip – I can. But that will compromise responsiveness to some level.
You can let them resize depending on the width (use % width instead of fixed).
Is that a mockup or an html page?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Quote from: Joshua Dickerson – It looks very disjointed. Like there is no commonality between everything.

Possible. I was trying to reinvent the page. Believe it or not, I spent months before finalising the best way to present ElkArte who thinks all free and community powered are worthless effort. I am happy that it is simply layout you are troubled with. That can be easily handled ( I hope ). :)

Reply #7

Quote from: emanuele –
Quote from: meetdilip – I can. But that will compromise responsiveness to some level.
You can let them resize depending on the width (use % width instead of fixed).
Is that a mockup or an html page?

Screen shot from local host. :)

Reply #8

I tried to beautify, and this is how it looks now ( better results if you download the image and view it on 1:1 scale)

Reply #10

Looks better. I don't like the header. The boxes look much better though.

The copy (the words) need some work, but the styling looks good.

I would like to see some images. A view of what an actual forum looks like. Out of the forums' homepages, I think IPS has the best.

Reply #11

That is why I used the term " Beautify ". I simply tried to change the way people see ElkArte. It is a much bigger boon than they can imagine (or they know). I  / we can add images, change colours and all those touch ups at  a later point. As you can see, the version I posted above is the same as my first attempt image. Certain elements were tweaked to give better appearance ( just it is not as simple as we put in words ). As for images, I tend not to use it. Page loading will be much faster this way.  We can always give a demo if required.

QuoteThe copy (the words) need some work,

These are the best words I can use to describe ElkArte :)

Reply #14

Your background should never be brighter than the foreground.