Skip to main content
Topic: Php 7.0 Beta (Read 12288 times) previous topic - next topic

Php 7.0 Beta

http://be2.php.net/archive/2015.php#id2015-07-24-1 Well...
How many things did they change to get that far?
How many things will break?
Will it be difficult to upgrade in order to make everything compatible or a PITA that would require complete recoding from scratch?

I'm scared  :-[
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Re: Php 7.0 Beta

Reply #1

Considering how fast they are going from alpha->beta1->beta2 you should be scared.

Reply #2

They are doing a major release, it's not "that" far. If you mean the reason behind 5 => 7, it is just because only few old geeky farts know that few years ago existed a php 6 project that was aborted.

Hopefully not as many as you may think, but indeed a few.

Quote from: Flavio93Zena – Will it be difficult to upgrade in order to make everything compatible or a PITA that would require complete recoding from scratch?
Absolutely yes, the whole Matrix World will be rewritten from scratch! :P

Quote from: Spuds – Considering how fast they are going from alpha->beta1->beta2 you should be scared.
They have no middle ground! LOL
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

You scared me even more >_< xD
P.S.: I knew about php 6, but still...
Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 06:40:41 pm by Flavio93Zena

Reply #4

There are always bc notes for any release. Check them. People say it's the easiest php upgrade they have done but I have not tried it yet. I don't think we will have issues.

Reply #6

Actually, there is something broken (at least in the tests, I have not been able (yet) to try php7 "live").
I tried it a while ago and forgot about it, but now I resumed the branch and was trying to pinpoint the issue.
It fails in session_start of test_login_cookie and on the first call of validateLoginPassword in the test test_password:
https://travis-ci.org/emanuele45/Dialogo/builds/73946632

At the moment I have no idea what the problem is...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

Not bad, still scared about how many things it could break though, both here and on smf since elk still contains lots of smf code.

Reply #9

PHP 7.0.0 RC 8 released today  8)
Sorry for my English

Reply #10

emanuele thinks elk should start working in php 7 too. nods
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #12

yeah, it has some killer features.
LiveGallery - Simple gallery addon for ElkArte

Reply #13

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin – Too bad it won't be practical to require on hosts for at least 2 years.
True, but better be ready "soonish" than late to the party.
The tests are currently broken in php 7 for some session problem as far as I could tell. Have it fixed for 1.1 (final) would be cool, because anyway 1.1 should last for about a couple of years. So, by the time 2.0 is ready we will still be able to work with php 7. :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #14

It can wait...